Pages

▼

Friday, October 9, 2026

The Last Sister by Kendra Elliot

 

from the blurb:  Twenty years ago Emily Mills’s father was murdered, and she found his body hanging in the backyard. Her younger sister, Madison, claims she was asleep in her room. Her older sister, Tara, claims she was out with friends. The tragedy drove their mother to suicide and Tara to leave town forever. The killer was caught. The case closed.

Ever since, Emily and Madison have tried to forget what happened that night—until an eerily similar murder brings it all back. It also brings FBI special agent Zander Wells to the Oregon logging town. As eager as he is to solve the brutal double slaying, he is just as intrigued with the mystery of Emily’s and her sisters’ past.

my thoughts:  I've read many of Elliot's mysteries, but somehow missed this one. And it's a good one. I really liked Agent Zander Wells and his partner, Agent Ava McLane; they worked well together, even when the local sheriff  wasn't very cooperative. I also liked Emily and her three elderly aunts. They are an eccentric bunch and made me laugh. I thought Elliot did a great job of weaving together the past and present mysteries. And she always brings life to her Oregon setting, which is another thing I like about her books. This is a compelling and well-written novel. 

rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Reading!

12 comments:

  1. This has all the ingredients of the kind of mystery that I love! Trauma in the past, eccentric side characters (because we need some levity in these dark stories!), and an atmospheric setting. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Lark. I like the cover of the book, very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And another cover with the character facing away! ;D

      Delete
  3. The elderly aunts sound fun. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made me laugh. Especially how they liked to dress in the same color on certain days.

      Delete
  4. Elderly aunts! I like it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make for some humorous moments in the book.

      Delete
  5. I like the Oregon setting and tne elderly aunts add a nice touch. Plus I've been meaning to read something by Kendra Eliot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read this one or her first Mercy Kilpatrick mystery. (Which is my favorite of her series.)

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure I read this one. I am behind with Elliot's mysteries! I really want to read her Noelle Marshall series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of her books, but this one sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete