Saturday, February 15, 2014

Musings...


  • I miss bookstores. At one point, I lived close to six bookstores: Little Professor, Sam Wellers, Deseret Book, B. Dalton's, A Woman's Place Bookstore, and Walden Books. It was great. Then a few of those stores went out of business, but Borders and Barnes and Noble took their place. Still great. And now? Only two are left: Deseret Book and Barnes and Noble. And Deseret Book sells more games, CDs, DVDs, and other gift items than books. It's disheartening. And while I like Barnes and Noble, it's not the bookstore it once was. And that makes me sad.
  • Down Fell the Doves by Amanda Shires is an amazing CD. Soulful and haunting. I've been listening to it all week.
  • Library day ... and once again I checked out more books than I can possibly read in three weeks. I just can't seem to help myself. Books are my weakness.
  • Speaking of the library, they just installed a new operating system at ours, and the new search engine is less than stellar. I typed in an author's name--Oliphant, Margaret--and it asked me if I meant "elephant margaritas". Really?
  • (Spooky...at least 100 starlings just landed in my backyard. It's like a scene out of Hitchcock's The Birds...help.)
  • If you haven't seen the movie The Monuments Men yet, go! The acting...the art...the story...it's definitely the must-see, don't-miss movie of 2014!!!

10 comments:

  1. We get an invasion of starlings once in awhile -- it always has me thinking of Hitchcock!

    Putting The Monuments Men on the list!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starlings are not my favorite bird. (But The Monuments Men is now my favorite movie!)

      Delete
  2. I miss Sam Weller. I have not made myself visit the new incarnation for fear that the once copious art book section would be all but a withered shell of itself. I have relegated myself to shopping online, but it's so hard to "stumble" on a gem searching web stores. Amen on Minuments Men- what a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starlings are creepy. Monuments Men was such an enjoyable movie! I miss browsing at bookstores, too. I just can't browse the same way online. And at least if you check out too many books at the library (as I always do!) it is free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um...so there was a bird IN our house last night. What is up with birds lately?!?

    I really want to see The Monuments Men I'm glad you loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So how did you get the bird OUT of your house? The finches and sparrows that feed at my bird feeders also keep crashing into my windows...What IS up with birds lately? :)

      Delete
  5. Grandma Wright used to say that if there were a bunch of starlings in the yard it meant a storm was coming. I have found that to be true about 75% of the time. I really like Monuments Men for a lot of reasons, but especially one. It gave me 100 more reasons to dislike the Nazis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and it has the Great One in it! I can never dislike any movie that has Bill Murray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? He's just gotten better with age. (And I believe that whole starling thing...that many starlings definitely bodes ill.)

      Delete