Sunday, December 3, 2017

Wrapping up The Backlist Reader Challenge...

So the whole point of this challenge (hosted by Lark at The Bookwyrm's Hoard) was to finally read some of those older books that have been piling up on your TBR pile and TBR list. Which made it a great challenge for me 'cause I've got a pile of books in my room waiting to be read and an even longer TBR list of book titles I've been meaning to read for years. The best part of this challenge is that I got to set my own goals for it. So last January, I picked ten books from my TBR list that I wanted to read in 2017.

How did I do?

I read 8/10! And six of those were books from off my own TBR shelf. So not too bad. Here are the books I read:

Thanks, Lark, for hosting this challenge! I had a lot of fun...and I read some books this year that I probably wouldn't have read otherwise. 

My favorite of the eight:  The Radleys followed closely by Dance Night and Wash This Blood Clean From My Hand.
My least favorite:  We Hear the Dead

Happy Reading!

P.S. I should probably repeat this challenge again next year because I have a new stack of books piling up in my room and even more books I want to read on my TBR list. It's a neverending bookish mountain that I seem to be climbing. 

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing the challenge! I'm always looking for ways to tackle the TBR stacks. I did not do well this year, though I'm currently reading a book I've had since 2010.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's good. I've decided it's way too easy to put off reading books I own because there's no time pressure; books don't go bad. And without a due date I don't seem to get around to reading them. It's a problem. :D

      Delete
  2. Nice! I always sign up for challenges, but I never seem to actually complete them. Good job on getting 8/10. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time completing challenges, too. Take this one. I could set my OWN goal for it, and I still didn't finish it. But it's okay. Maybe next year.

      Delete
  3. I haven’t seen this challenge but I need it! You should see my unread bookshelf. It takes up a whole wall floor to ceiling. I need help. Congrats on reading 8/10. And you still have a month if you wanted to squeeze in two more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could...but I probably won't. Too many library books calling my name. ;D

      Delete
  4. You did great, Lark! I am starting to think about whether I want to participate in any challenges this next year. I've enjoyed my challenge-free year quite a bit, but some of the challenges out there are tempting me . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Challenges can be very tempting...especially at the beginning of the year. But I usually run out of steam before the challenge is done. :D

      Delete
  5. Congrats, Lark! I used to participate in various reading challenges but stopped since I was sidetracked and plus the books I choose to read are always on a whim. I think I'll do better without the pressure but then again it's fun reading with other participants. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about reading challenges; I think I need to take a break from them for awhile and just read on a whim again. :)

      Delete
  6. Way to go! That backlist of books on the shelves can produce a combination of guilt and stress, so getting those read is an accomplishment in more ways than one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does produce guilt and stress! So much so that I sometimes I want to throw my lists (but not my unread books!) away and start over. :D

      Delete
  7. Great job on the challenge! I should do something like this because my TBR stacks have officially become shelf-sitters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is it so easy to buy the books we want to read, and so hard to actually find the time to read them all?

      Delete
  8. Excellent Work! I love challenges that make me pick up books I wouldn't normally otherwise jump at...

    I hear you on the library temptation! That siren call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It's something I find almost impossible to resist!

      Delete
  9. That's awesome you got 8 of your old TBR list read! :) I'm working on my Netgalley TBR which feels endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that! If I did Netgalley I'm sure I would always be waaaay behind. :D

      Delete
  10. Well done! I have a giant Word document with all the books I want to read. I notice that a lot of books get read towards the end with the new releases. Those first few pages don't fare quite as well!

    Maybe I should join this challenge next year. Maybe I'll put Zafon's trilogy on that list and finally read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's worth reading. :) But I know what you mean about the more recent releases always seeming to take precedence over older titles on your TBR list. It happens to me, too.

      Delete