Saturday, December 3, 2016

Reading England Challenge...

The Goal:  To travel England by reading, and read at least one book per however many counties of England you decide to read.

This was a fun reading challenge hosted by Behold the Stars, and a great literary pilgrimage across England as well. I ended up reading 11 books set in 9 different counties, which means I reached Level 3 -- Reading 7-12 counties. Yay! Here are the books I read for the Reading England 2016 Challenge and the counties where they are set:

Cambridgeshire:
Jacob's Room  by Virginia Woolf

Cornwall:
Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier

Dorset:
Two on a Tower by Thomas Hardy

Lincolnshire:
The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot

London:
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Northumberland:
Seeking Persephone by Sarah M. Eden

Shropshire:
When Falcons Fall by C.S. Harris

Sussex:
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

Warwickshire:
As You Like It by William Shakespeare

Happy Reading!


11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I liked how low-key it was, and also how the books I was reading anyway filled several of the counties without me having to try and find specific books to read. The perfect reading challenge for me. :)

      Delete
  2. What a fun challenge! It's a great way to pay attention to the geography of a story, which can and should impact the story itself. I don't think Rebecca could work set anywhere but Cornwall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love settings like Cornwall and Wales and Scotland...they always seem to add a little something extra to the story. :)

      Delete
  3. What a great challenge! Are they running it again in 2017? If so, I'm going to have to think really hard about it, because I love England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she said she was going to take a break in 2017, but will probably host this challenge again in 2018. But you can check out her post for yourself at: http://beholdthestars.blogspot.com/2016/12/december.html

      Delete
  4. I would really like to do this challenge someday, even if it's not an "official" one. It would be fun to explore the landscape of England through reading, in a more conscious way than I have done hitherto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of fun with it...and there's so many really good books out there set in England that it makes this particular reading challenge even more fun. :)

      Delete
  5. Well done! And yes, I'll most likely host it in 2018. I've got so much I want to read next year, not sure I'll fit it in for 2017. But I would like to get back to it for 2018. Thanks for joining :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about not being able to fit in all the books you want to read; it happens to me all the time. I'll look forward to joining your challenge in 2018. Until then...happy reading! :)

      Delete