Monday, March 14, 2016

Bookish first impressions...

These first lines made me want to read more; see if any make you want to read more, too.


"Kell wore a very peculiar coat. It had neither one side, which would be conventional, nor two, which would be unexpected, but several, which was, of course, impossible."
Title: A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab
(Surprisingly compelling, this fantasy adventure with its four different Londons--Red, Gray, Black and White--is lots of fun. I loved it!)


"The obsession began on June 12, 2008 around 11:23 a.m."
Title: Intertwine by Nichole Van
(Emme Wilde travels back in time to England, 1812, to meet her soul-mate in this time-travel romance.)


 "I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear. Well, that's me --Cammie the Chameleon. But I'm luckier than most because, at my school, that's considered cool. I go to a school for spies."
Title: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
(My niece recommended this entertaining YA novel; AND it fills the "spies" category for me on Reading Bingo!)


"Amy Grimes was bored with her life. She was bored with school, bored with her parents, bored with most of her friends, and had been well on the way to being bored with her boyfriend, Simon Church, until he suggested that they just pack up and leave this very boring little town."
Title: Fear the Dark by Kay Hooper
(Hooper's novels of psychic suspense are always page-turners, and this one is no exception.)


"Christmas crept into Pine Cove like a creeping Christmas thing: dragging garland, ribbon, and sleigh bells, oozing eggnog, reeking of pine, and threatening festive doom like a cold sore under the mistletoe."
Title: The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore
(An irreverent and quirky "tale of Christmas terror" with an incompetent Archangel, a dead Santa, a boy's Christmas wish, and zombies. It's awesome.)

Happy Reading!

18 comments:

  1. All of these sound good to me. Well, with the exception of the time travel book. I never seem to get on well with time travel for some reason. I read Lamb by Christopher Moore years ago and enjoyed it, so I think I'd enjoy The Stupidest Angel. :) I also read Hunting Fear by Hooper some years ago and like it. Thanks for some great suggestions and reminders of authors that I intended, and forgot, to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time travel book did have a few flaws, but then they always do, don't they? Hope you enjoy the others! :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! I always add the first sentence of a book in my review of it. I think first sentences should intrigue you and draw you in. It's not a deal breaker if they don't but it's so much better when they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. There are books I find myself checking out of the library solely because of one amazing opening sentence. These are just a few of the better ones. :)

      Delete
  3. I on the other hand love time-travel books, so I'm putting that on my list :) And A Darker Shade of Magic sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I read the time-travel book all the way to its made-me-smile conclusion; yes, it has a few flaws, but its still a fun read! :) And I really enjoyed A Darker Shade of Magic. The premise is so unique, and the writing magical. Let me know what you think of it if you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  4. Love this post. I should go back and look at some of my favorite first lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tell a lot about a book sometimes just by reading its first line. :)

      Delete
  5. Intertwine and Fear the Dark sound good to me :) It's fun to read the first lines of a book and make a judgement about it.

    (new follower here, but I had to bookmark your blog since I see no way to actually follow you?) Enjoy your week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a follow button on the right side of my blog under the 2016 New England Reading challenge button, but another blogger couldn't find it either, so maybe it's not showing up on your end?? Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from new people. And you're right, first lines can say a lot about a book. :)

      Delete
  6. I'd Tell You I Love You sounds so fun. There is something irresistible about a good spy story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the girls at this spy school are smart and funny and I had a lot of fun reading this YA novel. There are like 4 or 5 more in the series, too, all with equally great titles. :)

      Delete
  7. Oooh, these all sound intriguing. I've only read one of them -- I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU .... I loved it and the other books in the series that I've read. Such fun fluff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun series, isn't it? I owe my niece for recommending it to me.

      Delete
  8. I love the Ally Carter line -- makes me want to read that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun one; and it's got spies in it! :)

      Delete
  9. I love first sentences. The best are the ones that hook me immediately. These are all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the best first lines hook you immediately; if I'm wavering about a book, the first line can make it or break it for me. But I got lucky with all of these books; they all turned out to be as good as their opening lines.

      Delete