Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Language of Sand

"We was a term she hadn't uttered in a while. For Abigail, there was no more we. To her, we meant her family, her husband and son. Her main frame of reference was as we:  We bought a new house. We're having a baby. We're going out to eat. Now all that remained was I. It was the second of only two one-letter words in the entire dictionary, the first being A. Each was defiantly singular. The language would be nothing without them. Abigail felt she was nothing without we. She missed we." 

When life as she knows it ends one night in heartbreaking tragedy, Abigail Harker seeks refuge at the lighthouse on Chapel Isle, a secluded island in North Carolina's Outer Banks. It was where her husband loved to go as a boy. Where she hopes to be able to grieve in peace. But the caretaker's cottage isn't exactly the haven she thought it would be:  it's isolated and rundown, very rundown, and it's also apparently haunted by Wesley Jasper, the former lighthouse keeper who experienced his own tragedy in 1902. And while many of the islanders are friendly and welcoming, some are not. And the words that Abby once loved as a lexicographer seem to have failed her. For there are no words to deal with her loss. Still, she's doing her best to keep moving forward. But then there's a rash of robberies on the island. And an approaching hurricane. And Abby begins to think coming to Chapel Isle might not have been such a good idea after all.
"Whether you stay here in Chapel Isle or take the next ferry home, it won't make a bit of difference. It's like trying to serve two masters. You've got the grief and you've got your life. The one you choose to serve is up to you."
 I loved this book:  the lyrical writing, the exploration of words and language, the quirky cast of island characters, and Abby's own reinvention of her life. Ellen Block is an amazing writer, and The Language of Sand is a magical story full of hope and heart. There's nothing I would change about it. Best of all, there's a sequel:  The Definition of Wind. 

Happy Reading!


19 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before, but it sounds like a novel I would like. I seem to read a lot of these broken-woman-retreats-to-exotic-locale-and-rundown-abode-to-find-herself-again type books. The ghost angle appeals, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes for a very satisfying and enjoyable read! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The book was full of them; I had a hard time choosing only two. :)

      Delete
  3. Isn’t that great when you find a favorite!

    Have you read any books by Elisabeth Berg? I think thematically (and she also often has slightly quirky characters) her books sound similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any books by Berg, but if her books are at all similar to this one I'm betting I'd like her. Do you have a favorite you'd recommend?

      Delete
    2. The book I liked best from her was The Year of Pleasures, but you might want to try the Oprah pick Safe Home instead.

      Delete
    3. I don't know, Oprah and I don't usually like the same books. For that reason alone I'd probably go with your favorite first. :D

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you said you love this one because it sounds soooo good, Lark. I want to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love this one! The writing is so good, and the characters are great. I hope you get a chance to read it. (And let me know if you love it, too!)

      Delete
  5. The setting alone makes an atmospheric read. And all the more better with the lyrical writing and interesting characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that island setting gets me every time. And then when the writing is so good...it's a perfect combination. :)

      Delete
  6. Is this terribly sad? It sounds wonderful but I can't do sad at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though Abigail is sad and grieving, this is actually not a sad book. And it has a very hopeful and optimistic ending that'll make you smile.

      Delete
  7. I don't know that I'd ever read this one. I've never heard of it but thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing the quote you did. I needed to hear that last bit more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm glad. It's a great quote, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. Oh, this sounds lovely! I might have avoided the book as too sad based on the blurb, but you describe it as magical and full of hope, and I love the quotes...and the character's love of words. I'm definitely putting this on my "want-to-read" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While it might make you tear up once or twice, it's not a book that'll leave you feeling sad or depressed. Because it's a book about hope and going forward and choosing life.

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a good one! Sigh. My TBR list keeps GROWING and GROWING.

    ReplyDelete