Monday, April 10, 2017

Loving Arches...


"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit,
and as vital to our lives as water and good bread."
--Edward Abbey

Pine Tree Arch


I was only about six years old the first time I visited Arches National Park in southeastern Utah.  After far too many years away I finally went back last week with my sisters. And despite the cool temperatures and even colder wind, this place was even more amazing than I remembered.  Here are some of my favorite sights from my short spring break trip to one of the prettiest national parks in the United States.











Double Arch




These sandstone cliffs
burnished red by wind and time--
fragile bridges to the sky.








Delicate Arch





"Men come and go, cities rise and fall, whole civilizations appear and disappear (but) the earth remains ... and the heartbreaking beauty where there are no hearts to break. I sometimes choose to think that man is a dream, thought an illusion, and only rock is real. Rock and sun."
                                --Edward Abbey








And while I didn't see any new birds on my trip to add to my
life list, I did see quite a lot of ravens. They criss cross the skies
above the crowds and through the arches like we are merely
trespassers in their world of sun and rock and sky. I loved them.


Happy Dreaming!

Related reads:
     Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
     Arches National Park by Day & Night (photographs) by Grant Collier


23 comments:

  1. So pretty! I think Arches is the only one of Utah's parks that I have NOT visited. A trip is definitely overdue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go! It's so beautiful there. Even when there's crowds. :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous photos, Lark. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got a new camera and I had fun playing around with it this trip; glad you enjoyed my artistic efforts. ;D

      Delete
  3. I've never been to this park. Only Capitol Reef. I'm close enough that's it's rather embarrassing. Oh well. One day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad; I've never been to Capitol Reef! :D

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures (and that quote is perfection). I am glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that first quote! Wilderness is vital!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great quote, isn't it? And one I happen to very much agree with. :)

      Delete
  6. Just beautiful!! Thanks for sharing, Lark! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are amazing! Those arches are beyond beautiful - they are breathtaking. Loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Just look at those stunning landscapes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing? Even better when you're standing right there, dwarfed by these amazing red rock formations! :)

      Delete
  9. Wonderful pictures--Arches is a magical place, and I like it with the snow-covered mountains in the background. Perfect time of year to visit. I still have never read Desert Solitaire, but it still sits on my shelf waiting for me. Thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've dipped in and out of Desert Solitaire, but I haven't read it all the way through yet. It does have some great quotes, though. :)

      Delete
  10. One of my favorite places! So fun to have a sisters' trip. I haven't read Edward Abbey...I love the quotes you used. Also, congrats on the new camera & great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arches NP is a beautiful place. We visited it in August, about 20 years ago. It was hot as blazes, but gorgeous. I'd like to go back when it's cooler. Did you stay in Moab? My cousin and his wife own a campground there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did stay in Moab...crazy, crowded Moab, but we had a lot of fun. I'm not much of a camper, so we stayed in a motel that offered that very important perk: free hot breakfast! :)

      Delete
  12. That is absolutely beautiful. We do not have these kinds of rocks in The Netherlands, and I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to be able to visit them and look at them from upclose. Thank you very much for sharing these.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you have to do your traveling through other people's blogs. I know I often "travel" to Paris and Florence through yours. :D

      Delete