Saturday, November 18, 2017

Last Christmas in Paris...

My dear Tom,
    ...How strange that we have known each other for so many years and know so many little things about each other, and yet only in these past months, since writing to you, do I feel that I've really begun to know you at all. Letters make one uncommonly honest, don't you think? I've told you things in words that I would have been far too shy or distracted to tell you in person. I wonder if I will have anything to say to you at all when we see each other in the flesh again. Will it be soon? ...
With much love,
Evie


I love epistolary novels! This one is set during World War! Evie's and Tom's exchange of letters tell the story of the war--both on the front lines and back home in England.  It's also a story of friendship, courage, death and loss, endurance, and love. I wish people still wrote letters like this! It's such a great novel. I loved it as much as The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And I was sad when it ended. Everyone needs to read this book! You'll be glad you did.

(Oh, and I have to thank Nadia for recommending this book. It was her rave review that made me put this book on hold at the library in the first place.) 

Happy Reading!

18 comments:

  1. Hi Lark,

    Thanks for your review. This novel in a series of letters sounds really good and the passage you quote is lovely. Agree they knew how to write letters back then. I also like novels in the form of diary entrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letters are great, aren't they? Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. This does sound good. I like epistolary novels too and loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Maybe I should try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. High Recommendation! The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one of my very favorite novels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one won't top that one, but it's a good second. :)

      Delete
  4. This one sounds great. I love epistolatory novels too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves when novels are written in letters! :)

      Delete
  5. I love a good epistolary story, too. I haven't read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society so I'll have to check this out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read that one, too! It's really good. :D

      Delete
  6. I also love this type of story telling! And the Paris setting makes it all the more attractive! I'll have to check out this romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking for some holiday books to round out my reading year, and this sounds perfect--love the setting and time period and format. I actually like epistolary stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too, and with the war setting the letters were especially poignant. :)

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed Guernsey, so I will have to look out for this. It sounds like the perfect holiday read!

    ReplyDelete