Saturday, December 4, 2021

Snowdrops by A.D. Miller

Snowdrops is a story of Moscow seduction and corruption told from the viewpoint of a middle-aged London ex-pat lawyer named Nick Platt. To Masha and Katya, the two young and enticing Muscovite women he meets on the subway, he is Kolya, a "useful" foreigner who they tease, tempt and entice into helping them commit "the perfect Moscow crime." Only Nick isn't sure whether or not a crime is even being committed. To him, Masha is the girl he thinks he loves; Katya, her sister. But then, he really doesn't want to look much beyond that because the Moscow winter is long and cold, and the girls are young and beautiful. The truth is, Nick has lived too long in Moscow--a city where "the less you look, the longer you live" and "the less you know, the better off you are." He doesn't realize until too late that the city of corruption has corrupted him. 

Snowdrops is one of those books I ended up thinking about for days after I finished reading it. Which isn't a bad thing in a book. It definitely captured my curiosity and held my interest. It's nice to read a book where you can't predict how it will end, but at the same time has an ending that isn't a complete surprise when you finally reach the last page. And if you read it, it'll give you a whole new definition for the term snowdrops. (And make you think twice about ever going to Moscow!) So if you like a mystery with a compelling setting, good pacing and tension, and a psychological edge--and you don't mind characters with some very questionable morals--I recommend this one. It's a book you won't soon forget.

Happy Reading!

34 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I love it when I can't get a book off my mind after I finish it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sign of a good read. Or at least a very interesting one. :)

      Delete
  2. An interesting premise, and it is usually a good thing when you continue thinking about it after you finish. I'm already worried about Nick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were several moments in this book when I was worried for Nick, too.

      Delete
  3. I know I've read something by this author but, the title is no loner familiar. I need to search all the titles. I do like when my opinion changes a bit days after finishing certain books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found with some books, the more I think about them the less I like them, and with other books it's the complete opposite. I'm still thinking about this one. :)

      Delete
  4. This one sounds excellent! I love the setting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is interesting. I've read enough about Moscow to be really interested in this! Such a great setting for some morally questionable characters haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the characters in this book are not ones you'd want to invite home to meet your family!

      Delete
  6. Gracias por la reseña, me parece interesante. Lo tendré en cuenta. Te mando un beso
    Enamorada de las letras

    ReplyDelete
  7. i quite liked the Arkady Renko stories by Martin Cruz Smith. if i find a copy of the Miller i'll be able to compare the two...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have intrigued me with this one. Like mudpuddle, I loved the Arkady Renko books and the description of this one reminds me of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a bit of a crazy ride. But I did love that Moscow setting.

      Delete
  9. Whenever you can find a book that stays with you for days afterword, it's a good day! Lovely review Lark

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cover. I enjoy books that stay with you and keep you thinking. Great review, Lark.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The less you know, the better off you are" Ya know, that's kinda how it is in my neighborhood too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a powerful story that stays with you for a long time. I don't think I'd ever want to visit Russia. They seem to be an oppressive country is so many ways. I feel bad for the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russia is not on my vacation list either. Especially these days.

      Delete
  13. Great review. This has been on my periphery for a while now and you make me really want to pick it up ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read it...and please let me know what you think of this one if you do! :)

      Delete
  14. I don't think I would ever feel "comfortable" in Moscow, which means I've already read too many novels set there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Moscow doesn't come across as a very welcoming place, does it?

      Delete
  15. Sounds intriguing and I don't think I've read many books featuring Moscow as a setting. Will keep this book in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many books set in Moscow either, except for maybe one cold war era spy novel.

      Delete
  16. This sounds really good. I don't know that I'd ever want to go to Moscow but if I did, this story would definitely make me think twice about it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really wanted to go to Moscow, either, and now I really don't! ;D

      Delete