Monday, May 21, 2018

A bookish update...

Series I'm still reading (and loving):

The second mystery with Magnus "Steps" Craig
and the FBI's Special Tracking Unit
Alex Verus Series #4 by Benedict Jacka


Bookish confession #1:  When someone tells me that they don't remember the last time they read a book, or that they don't like to read novels, deep in my heart I know that we can never really truly be friends. 

Recently arrived in the mail:





Looks like it's going to be  
a ghostly summer for me.









Bookish confession #2:  Buying a bunch of new books is awesome, but it never seems to still the craving in me to buy even more. No matter how many books I own, I don't think it'll ever be enough. I want them ALL.  😀

Books I recently checked out of the library (because apparently 
I don't have enough books at home waiting to be read):

The Kitchen Witch by Annette Blair
The Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle
All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda
The Sorrows by Jonathan Janz
Kill Creek by Scott Thomas


Bookish confession #3:  If I'm not sure I want to finish reading a book, I skip ahead to see how it ends. And if the ending is stupid or disappointing, I quickly move on to another book. Because life is too short. You know?


What's up next:



Happy Reading!


22 comments:

  1. More books to check out! I just finished a light ghost novel--The Ghost of Marlow House which was fun. It reminded me a bit of The Ghost of Mrs. Muir. It is important to have a nice supply of books for back up; when a book needs to be abandoned, one needs immediate choices to fill in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! And thanks for the tip about The Ghost of Marlow House. I'm adding it to my summer list. :)

      Delete
  2. I want to own all the books too. It’s getting a bit ridiculous. The Carrow Haunt has such an awesome cover that I want to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Glad I'm not the only one! (And that cover is cool, isn't it? It's why I had to have it.)

      Delete
  3. I agree with your first two confessions, but I don't often do #3. You're right, though - life is too short for disappointing books! I hope you enjoy your ghostly summer - and your new library books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! And good for you for never skipping to the end! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh bookish confession time - I love it. I'm with you, when people tell me they don't read then I know we won't be best of friends! Your new book even look spooky - Have fun with those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have friends who don't really read. I give them a pass! They have other good qualities. But I LOVE talking books and swapping books with friends who do read. It does give the friendship an extra layer!

    But yes, to #2 and #3 for sure. I don't do #3 often enough however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been skipping to the end more and more lately; too many so-so books from the library that just aren't worth finishing. :)

      Delete
  6. I can be friends with non-bookish friends, but I know we'll have not much things to talk, lol. Always love buying books no matter how full the shelves are. Enjoy your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't trust people who dislike dogs, and cats and who read less than one book a decade! I just don't get those people :) Those Darcy Coates books look nice and haunting. I look forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the Coates' books are as good as they look! :)

      Delete
  8. I struggle to find things to talk about with people who don't read books. If they don't watch 80's sitcoms either, then I really tap of stuff to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried to read SALVAGE THE BONES a couple of times and I just can't get more than 1/3 of the way through -- not because it's not well written but because it's so, so raw. I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is VERY raw. I did make it through, but just barely. And I have to say, I did not find Ward's writing "inspiring and poetic" at all. :)

      Delete
  10. Wow, great post! I was nodding my head at your bookish confessions, and busy scribbling down some of the titles you shared. I forgive family members who don't read for pleasure because you know, family, but it's hard to have a friend who has zero interest in reading.

    I read the first Spencer Kope and want the next one, also All the Missing Girls. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! And I know what you mean about having to forgive family for their foibles. :)
      (I was going to comment back on your blog, but I just don't do disqus. Sorry. Loved your post and all your Maine pics though!!)

      Delete
  11. I've still only read the first Benedict Jacka book but I loved it. I hope to binge read the whole series sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series to do that with! Every time I finish one of his books, I immediately want to read another one. :)

      Delete