Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Breaking Creed by Alex Kava

From the blurb:
Ryder Creed and his dogs have been making national headlines. They’ve intercepted several major drug stashes being smuggled through Atlanta’s airport. But their newfound celebrity has also garnered some unwanted attention.  To make matters worse, Creed helps one of the cartel’s drug mules escape—a fourteen-year-old girl who reminds him of his younger sister who disappeared fifteen years ago.

Meanwhile, FBI agent Maggie O’Dell is investigating a series of murders — the victims tortured, killed, and dumped in the Potomac River. She suspects it’s the work of a cunning and brutal assassin, but her politically motivated boss has been putting up roadblocks.  By the time she uncovers a hit list with Creed’s name on it, it might be too late. The cartel has already sent someone to destroy Creed and everyone close to him.

But Creed and his dogs have a few surprises in store on their compound in Florida. 


What I liked:  Ryder Creed and all his dogs! Creed is an ex-marine, one of those ruggedly handsome guys with a penchant for taking in strays. He has a compound in Florida where he trains cadaver dogs, search-and-rescue dogs, and even drug sniffing dogs. That's what Grace, his Jack Russell terrier, does. She can also air scent, and she loves her pink elephant squeaky toy. Then there's Bolo, his overly protective Lab and several more. Ryder and ALL his dogs are awesome. I also liked FBI agent Maggie O'Dell. She's got an eye for detail and is trained as a profiler. She and Ryder make a great team. (Apparently Kava has written several mysteries with Maggie as the main character, but I haven' read any of those.)

This book is well-written. The mystery is compelling. And it reads fast. But it's the characters who made it a 4-star read for me.

Happy Reading!

28 comments:

  1. I love books about working dogs and their training--and mysteries, of course. This one is now on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to find this series...especially while I'm waiting for new K-9 mysteries by both Paula Munier and Margaret Mizushima. I think they each have a book coming out this month. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any books by Kava, but I'm going to go take a look at this one. I like there are dogs involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what made me want to read this one! :) Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. Alex Kava is an author I've been wanting to try for awhile now. Everything about this book sounds great! I love reading about working dogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first book I've read by her and I ended up liking it a lot. I'll definitely try her again. Especially her books with dogs! :D

      Delete
  4. Alex Kava has one of those names that sound like it should belong to the main character, not to the author. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why am I not reading this series? Seriously, it sounds like it was written for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you've never given any of these books a try! There's even a dog on the cover...a small one, but still, it's a dog! ;D

      Delete
  6. I've never read anything by Alex Kava, but if you recommend it, I'm definitely going to take a look. Sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely an author worth checking out. :)

      Delete
  7. This book has your name written all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sound of the Jack Russell terrier and the Lab. Sounds like a fun read, and glad the characters were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read this one just for the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that! The dogs are just so great. I liked them more than the mystery. :)

      Delete
  10. I haven't tried anything by this author but see his books everywhere. One of these days I need to check one out. I like that it sounds like the suspense is off the charts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the doggie goodness! I need to check this author out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to try her again...see how this series holds up.

      Delete
  12. I don't think I've read any book by this author. Another new author for me to explore. :)

    ReplyDelete