Friday, February 14, 2020

99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne


Things you need to know about Darcy Barrett:

  • She has a twin brother, Jamie, to whom she's currently not speaking.
  • She's working as a bartender (a job she hates), wishing she was traveling the world instead (if only she could find her passport).
  • She's addicted to sugar, especially marshmallows and chocolate.
  • She was born with a serious heart arrythmia, but she absolutely forbids everyone and anyone from making a fuss about it...or her.
  • She's in love with Tom Valeska, her brother's childhood friend. Only he's engaged to someone else. And even if he weren't, he probably wouldn't want to get involved with her.
  • Her beloved grandmother, Loretta, recently died and now Darcy and Jamie have to renovate her cottage and sell it. (When she'd much rather keep it for herself.) And who do they get to do the work? Tom! Just adding another complication to Darcy's already complicated life.
My thoughts:

Even though Darcy sounds like a great character, she ran hot and cold for me. I went from not liking her, to feeling some sympathy for her, to liking her for a page or two, only to end up getting really frustrated with her and wishing she would just grow up! I just did not connect with her at all. It didn't help that this novel is narrated in first person present tense, my least favorite POV.

I liked Tom better. He felt like a more believable and authentic character to me. But I didn't love the way he and Darcy interacted. Some of their banter was humorous and they shared some cute moments of genuine friendship that I liked, but there were more moments where I found myself shaking my head in frustration at their stubbornness and snarkiness towards each other, and their inability to just be open and honest with each other. I wanted to slap some sense into them multiple times, especially Darcy. In fact, there were moments when I wondered why Tom even liked her. But then, he wasn't perfect in this relationship either. 

In the end, I didn't love this one. But even though this particular romance didn't work for me, I did have a lot of fun reading it with Melody. Be sure to check out her review to see what she thinks of this one. Then check out her questions to me below.

Happy Reading!


Q. What are your likes and dislikes (if any) of this book?
A. I liked all of Darcy's references to her grandmother, Loretta. That's  one character I really wish I could have gotten to know better! I disliked how competitive Darcy and Jamie could get with one another. And while I really liked Tom as a person, I disliked how he acted around Darcy-- how he'd become all secretive, and even lie, just to "protect" her. I didn't like those moments at all. 

Q. What do you think of friends-to-lovers relationships?
A. In general, that friends-to-lovers trope is one of my favorites. When two characters have a genuine friendship and then proceed to fall in love...it's the best. 😊

24 comments:

  1. Great review, Lark! I've to admit this couple is the most infuriating I'd read in a romance, lol. Then again, they made the story interesting due to their banter and all the interactions. I definitely liked Tom better, but I definitely don't like his wishy-washiness. Still, I enjoyed our read and all the discussions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun reading books with you! Even when they're a little dumb. :)

      Delete
  2. It's such a bummer when the main character is difficult to like. Most of the time that kills the story for me. Though there's been a time or two when I've enjoyed it despite it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ashley! The books I enjoy the most are the ones that have characters I love. If I hate the characters, chances are I'm going to hate the book, too. :)

      Delete
  3. I really like the friends to lovers trope too. It's too bad the main character wasn't more likeable. I don't always have to like a character, but it really depends on the type of the book. Thrillers, for example, I expect not to like any of the characters (but it's nice when I do!). Romance, on the other hand, I need to or else I don't enjoy the book as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! I can do without likable characters in a mystery or a thriller, but in a romance? How can I root for a happy ending for someone I don't even like?

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you didn't love this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to, but it just didn't work for me. :)

      Delete
  5. First present present tense isn't my favorite either. Sorry to hear this one wasn't a little better for you, it does sound like the relationship (and Darcy unfortunately) were a little hard to like...

    Great review though! I like the Q & A bits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do so many authors choose to write in first person present tense these days? It's so hard to do it well!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I really wanted to like it more than I did, too!

      Delete
  7. Hi Lark, the bullet points you listed about Darcy got me interested but it sounds like the novel itself doesn't live up to those bullet points and agree particularly if its a first person narrator you have to bond with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, well. We can't win them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard about this book from other bloggers/vloggers. I think it was pretty popular. I wonder if you would have felt differently about Darcy had it been narrated in the second person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have helped. But honestly, it was how childish and stubborn she acted (in every situation!) that made it so hard for me to like her.

      Delete
  10. I genuinely tried to read this, but my gosh, did Darcy set my teeth on edge. I just couldn't stand her enough to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know exactly what you mean. She drove me crazy, too.

      Delete
  11. I couldn't finish this. Darcy was so irritating and I didn't like that Tom was in a relationship with someone else. No thanks. Sorry to hear you didn't have a lot of fun with this either. I think you did a wonderful job pointing out why this didn't work for you, and I agree totally. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Darcy was very irritating, wasn't she? I get why you didn't finish this one; I only did because I was reading it with Melody. :)

      Delete
  12. This sounds like it could have been really cute so too bad the characters were frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I don't like the characters I have a hard time liking the book.

      Delete