Sunday, July 3, 2022

Pay Dirt Road by Samantha Jayne Allen

The Plot:  Having graduated from college, Annie McIntyre is back in Garnett, Texas. She's working as a waitress and living with her cousin, Nikki, while she tries to figure out what to do with the rest of her life. She also keeps running into old boyfriends, and remembering certain incidents from her past that she'd rather forget.

Then, another waitress from work goes missing. Annie was at the same bonfire party as Victoria the last time she was seen, and now she feels guilty that she didn't offer Victoria a ride home. If she had, maybe she'd still be alive. So Annie decides to try and find out what happened to her friend, and she enlists the help of her private investigator grandfather, Leroy, even though he's supposed to be retired and isn't getting around so well any more. No one thinks their involvement in this case is a good idea, but Annie can't let it go until she knows the truth.

My thoughts:  I liked this one. Annie doesn't always make the best of decisions, and she's not the best at sleuthing out the truth yet either, but she doesn't give up, and I liked that about her. Her grandfather Leroy is one of those old guys who's feisty and humorous, but also stubborn and frustratingly terse at times. I wish more of the plot revolved around him and Annie working together to solve the mystery, but while they do go out and do some investigating together, the story focuses mostly on Annie as she tries to figure out her own life and find the truth about what happened to Victoria. The small town of Garnett also plays a big role in this mystery, the stark and sometimes gritty setting added needed depth to the mystery. I'll be interested to see what this author writes next. 

Happy Reading!
   

33 comments:

  1. Is this the first in a series? It sure sounds like it is setting the groundwork for more stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. This is the author's first book and it was just released this year, so I don't know if she plans on writing more with these characters, but I kind of hope that she does.

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting. Like Dorothy, I wonder if this is going to turn into a series for the author. I'm not sure I can put up with a main character who makes obviously poor choices, though, and succeeds almost despite herself. That kind of writing eventually gets on my nerves enough to make me put the book away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Annie's defense, not all of her decisions are bad. She was still trying to figure things out in this one, but by the end of the book she'd worked through quite a lot in her own life, and was getting her act together as a new private investigator working with her grandfather's partner. If there is a next book about her, I'd happily check it out.

      Delete
  3. I'll keep this one in mind, partly because of the location. Think I might have to be in the mood though. The poor choice thing does bug me at times. Kind of like the unlikeable characters. I can only take so much of that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. A small town in TX seems like a good setting for a story like this. Glad it was good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember seeing this one around. I can't pass up a good mystery so this sounds like one that I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's worth trying. It held my interest.

      Delete
  6. It's nice when a main character has some perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. Have a wonderful 4th.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Regine! And Happy Independence Day. :D

      Delete
  8. I grew up in a small Texas town, so a book with this setting always appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be definitely relate to this one then. :D

      Delete
  9. This sounds good and I like the small town setting as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your other comment went into my spam folder. I wish I knew why! But I rescued it. Thanks for trying again. :)

      Delete
  10. I like small town settings! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. I like small town settings, too. :)

      Delete
  11. I like the sound of this one and I would've like more with the grandfather and Annie solving the case together because he sounds like a great character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would have liked it even more if there were more scenes with Annie and her grandfather investigating together! :)

      Delete
  12. I love the small town setting and the grandfather sounds like such a great character. Glad you enjoyed this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one. I love this kind of small town setting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small towns become almost another character in the story, don't they? :)

      Delete
  15. I can understand her feeling bad about not giving her a ride. I hope you had a nice 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! It was a very nice holiday for me and my family. :)

      Delete
  16. Now I'm being forced to jump through hoops to leave comments! Grrr! Anyhoo, I've had my eye on this book. Thanks for the review-- it's acting as both reminder and incentive. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this one. It's a good first book by this author. And I'm sorry about the dumb commenting problems. I have them all the time now, too. It's very frustrating!

      Delete
  17. Annie sounds like an interesting character. It's a pity that there isn't much scenes featuring her and her grandfather investigating together. It'd have made a more intriguing read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did want more with her and her grandfather working together, but maybe the author will write a sequel about the two of them.

      Delete