Thursday, September 26, 2013

And Then There Were None...

What I love about Agatha Christie is the unexpectedness of her mysteries. The first time I read this one it had me completely stumped. And Then There Were None is a fast and fun read--even the second time around.

The novel begins with eight strangers receiving invitations to holiday on Indian Island, a secluded island off the coast of Devon in England. But the invitations have been sent under false pretenses. When they arrive at the house there's no host to greet them, just two servants and an anonymous recording that accuses each guest of murder. It all seems like a bad joke until one of them turns up dead. With no way back to the mainland, the remaining guests are trapped on Indian Island with a murderer, wondering who will die next.

It's the twists and turns of this novel I like best. If you've never read this particular Christie mystery before, I dare you to read it and try to guess who the murderer is. But I bet you'll be as surprised as I was the first time around.


Happy Reading!

P.S. Do you have a favorite Agatha Christie novel? If so, which one?

8 comments:

  1. I loved this book too and couldn't guess who the murderer was! I haven't read many Agatha Christie books but apart from this one, my other favourites are The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Why Didn't They Ask Evans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to have to read some more Christie this month... I'm just in the mood for some good mysteries. Thanks for the suggestions of other ones to try!

      Delete
  2. I have never read an Agatha Christie. I just saw a play based on one, though, and quite liked it. Maybe October would be a good month for me to read mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They read pretty fast; and you don't have to worry about bad writing!

      Delete
  3. I am reading this one soon as part of my Dust off your Classics challenge. I've decided AC is a modern classic and this is the book that I see the most praise for. Really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christie's novels are definitely classics! I hope you enjoy this one. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. It's like The Hunger Games, except the contestants didn't know what the game was up front. I read this forever ago, and remember loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a book that sticks with you; I first read this when I was a teen and never forgot the premise...just some of the details. Which made rereading it again this month fun.

      Delete