Monday, December 2, 2013

The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig


Such a great title, isn't it? It's one of the reasons I like this book. (But not the only one!) Here are a few others:
     1. Great characters with equally great names...like Arabella Dempsey and Reginald "Turnip" Fitzhugh. (Jane Austen even makes an appearance as one of Arabella's childhood friends.)
     2. An Austenesque plot (Willig borrowed from the premise of Austen's unfinished novel, The Watsons, for the plight of her own heroine, Arabella), with a little espionage thrown in for some added fun and adventure.
     3. An unexpected Christmas romance (unexpected for the characters anyway; I was completely expecting a happily ever after ending when I picked up this book and Willig did not disappoint.)
     4. Humorous dialogue and a fun lighthearted plot with "mad duck romps" and secret messages hidden in Christmas puddings. (After all, it's not the time of year for serious reading, is it?)
     5. Quotable quotes like this one: "Not everyone counts a man's worth in coins."

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a perfect book to read in December. I love the title and character names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking maybe I needed a Christmas read...thanks for the suggestion! This author's name is familiar to me...have you read other books she has written?

    ReplyDelete