Thursday, October 30, 2014

Whither the Weather?

I've been trying to find a book with an element of weather in the title for the What's in a Name 2014 Challenge all year without any luck. Frost Hollow Hall (my first choice) was unavailable; The Wind in the Willows (my plan B book) was uninteresting; and Snow Garden (picked up on a whim from the library) was unreadable. I tried a couple of other snow-related titles (Snowblind and In Falling Snow) but ended up not finishing either book. And I'd already read Gone With the Wind, and I just wasn't in the mood for The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. Obviously, weather isn't my thing.


So I'm changing directions. At the library this week I found a trio of picture books with clever stories and delightful illustrations and they ALL have an element of weather in their titles, from a great big storm to a windy day to the first snowfall. They're lots of fun to read, the pictures are great, and I recommend them all. (And if that's cheating for this challenge, I no longer care.)

Happy Reading!





Book titles: The Bears in the Bed and the Great Big Storm by Paul Bright
                    Flora's Very Windy Day by Jeanne Birdsall
                    Snow by Uri Shulevitz

What's in a Name Challenge: 6 books read; 0 to go!!!
(This challenge has been a lot of fun, but I have to admit...I'm glad I'm done.)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a creative solution! Plus: you're reading *three.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was desperate. But I did really enjoy these picture books. :)

      Delete
  2. My dad read Wind in the Willows several times to me while I was a child--he was a great one for rereading too--so I have a strong affinity to it, but the opening is a bit slow. How far did you get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously not far enough...I do want to read this book. I just need to read it when I'm not feeling so stressed and I have more time to slow down and enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Oh...I was going to try Snowblind...was it bad, or were you just not in the mood? (And I don't think picture books are cheating!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way the mom reacted to things in the story bugged me...I only made it halfway through, but I think I just got too impatient and irritated to finish. If you read it you'll have to let me know what you think about it. (And if I should have stuck it out and finished it!)

      Delete