Thursday, August 11, 2016

From the O Shelf...

Author:  Karen E. Olson
Title:  Hidden
First line:  I went missing fifteen years ago.


I've never read this author before, but the premise of this book intrigued me. Nicole Jones (not her real name) has been off the grid and hiding out on Block Island for the past 15 years. She earns a living by giving bike tours around the island and selling her artwork. She's left her former crimes, her computer, and her hacking skills far behind her. But then the last man on earth she wants to see shows up on the island demanding her help. And her past starts to catch up with her.

While not stellar, this is a pretty good read. I liked Nicole and how the mystery of her secret past is like a puzzle that's revealed bit by bit, piece by piece (although she's much more believable as a bike guide than as a hacker who's wanted by the FBI). She's smart and resourceful, and manages to hold her own against the bad buys, which I appreciate in any female character. The other islanders, especially Nicole's best friend Steve, make for some great secondary characters. And while not super suspenseful, this book ended up being a pretty quick read. But my favorite part of Hidden is the setting. Block island has everything I like in an island:  remote trails, amazing beaches, steep cliffs. Reading this book totally made me want to spend a summer there, maybe even buy a house and spend a year. For me, it's the best part of the book. 

Happy Reading!

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the setting; makes you want to take a vacation there isn't it, well excluding Nicole's "adventures", that is. ;) I still haven't read the second book, yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either, but I'm interested to see where her life takes her next.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting one. And I love when a book setting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Block Island was the highlight of the story for me.

      Delete
  3. Stories about "off the grid" always catch my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I liked that about the premise, too.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this one, and agree with you about it not being very suspenseful but still a fairly fast read. I was quite smitten with the setting, I admit. I am curious about the next book, but haven't yet read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad the next book won't be on Block Island, but I admit to also being a little curious about what her next mystery will be.

      Delete