Monday, May 29, 2017

A bookish update...

Recently finished reading:

(This second Lady Darby mystery is even better than the first.)

Quote of the week:
"The only person standing in your way is the scared storyteller who fears
a plot twist. Letting go of the story that holds us back frees us up to
aim true. (So) let go of your fears and take a leap of faith."
--Kathryn Budig, Aim True

Recently spotted on a birding field trip to Farmington Bay:


This peregrine falcon (#160 on my birdlist!) is not the only bird we saw;  we also spotted avocets, ibises, and stilts, a sandhill crane, egrets and grebes, gulls of every kind and lots of black-crowned night herons!

Recently checked out of the library:
Spindle Fire by Lexa Hillyer
A Grave Matter by Anna Lee Huber
The Cherry Harvest by Lucy Sanna
An Unsuitable Job For a Woman by P.D. James
Collecting the Dead by Spencer Kope
Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Looking forward to reading:


Bettina and I will be reading this together in June, 
so watch for our reviews. (And feel free to join in!)

Happy Reading!

14 comments:

  1. Love that quote! Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great quote of the week! I hope you and Bettina enjoy The Ballroom. I haven't read it but I love the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have high hopes for it...not always a good thing with books, but I just might get lucky this time. :)

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful bird! I think I would want to be a bird if I could transform into any other animal besides a human . . .

    I love the quote you shared, thank you.

    I hope you enjoy your library books! We didn't check any out this last library visit, I'm afraid.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a bird would be awesome! Thanks for all your comments. :D

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great haul of library books! What a beautiful falcon--your birding trip sounds like a great success. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. We get a lot of nesting shorebirds that summer here in Utah, which makes for some good birding. :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous peregrine falcon! I've had them on my bird wishlist for a while now, but around here, I see mostly red-shouldered and red-tailed hawks, ospreys, and bald eagles. (I guess I really shouldn't complain!) I enjoyed the quote. And one of these days, I hope to get around to the Lady Darby series...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peregrine has been on my bird wishlist for awhile, too; I've seen red-tailed hawks and bald eagles, but never ospreys. Maybe someday. :)

      Delete
  6. Reading The ballroom together has begun, and I think we will enjoy it both very much! Lovely to do a little project like this again with you!!

    And it looks like you have some wonderful other books as well, enjoy!

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we'll see if I get to them all. But I like having lots of bookish choices. :)

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful bird--I have yet to identify a peregrine falcon on my own. Avocets are one of my favorite birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love avocets! With their long bills and pinkish necks. They're a favorite for me, too. :)

      Delete