Friday, May 19, 2017

Why don't I review every book I read?

Mostly because I read too many books.
And I'm lazy.

I mean, think about it. Me actually writing 125+ reviews each year? Not gonna happen. Plus, not every book I read is worth writing about. I find it hard enough coming up with the right words to describe a good book let alone one that is merely mediocre; I mean how many ways can you say something is just okay? So I tend to skip reviewing the so-so reads. But I have to admit, even some books that are really good don't always inspire me to pen a post.

(Did I mention that I'm lazy?)

I probably should do more posts about the books that weren't worth finishing, but I don't like dwelling on the negative. And do you really want to read about a bunch of books that I either didn't like, or didn't finish? Maybe it would be different if I were clever and had a talent for humorous harangues, but sadly I'm not that funny. (Although I sometimes wish I were!) Besides, one of the main reasons I started blogging about books was to help me better remember the plots of the good reads, not all the failures and weaknesses of the bad ones.

So, I guess for the 75 or so books that I do end up reviewing each year, I'll stick with the ones I loved. Or at least liked. Along with those others where the review just seems to write itself. Because blogging shouldn't feel like work. And neither should chatting about books.

Happy Blogging!

6 comments:

  1. I try to review all the books I read; however it's hard to write one which is a DNF. Luckily most of the books I read tend to be readable so I rarely have that problem. I think I might not review it if I encounter one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do a better job of reviewing books than me...that's why I like visiting your blog so much. :)

      Delete
  2. Absolutely! You do this for fun, so do what makes you happy.

    I pretty much only blog about what I am reading for challenges, which is only about 20+ books a year. So I am even lazier. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;D You make me feel better. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I review everything I read because my original reason for starting a blog was so that I would have a record of all the books I read, good and bad. I agree that some books are difficult to write about, though, particularly the mediocre ones, so I understand your reasons for only blogging about the ones you liked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understand--I don't have something interesting to say about every single book, and sometimes it's fun to compare/contrast two wildly different books and see what connections you can make. I find GoodReads provides me with an actual record of everything I've read since I joined, but the blog is more for musing.

    ReplyDelete