Friday, August 10, 2018

Favorite Authors...

It's not always easy for me to narrow down the list of books that I love to just a few favorites, but oddly enough, I find it a lot easier to choose my favorite authors. Although even that list always ends up being a lot longer than ten. So, here's my "short list" of favorite authors--those authors who I love enough to want to read every single book they've ever written, and still wish for more:




Jane Austen
I know, this seems like the too-obvious first choice,
but I can't help it. I've read her books many times
and I love them all.






Patricia A. McKillip
I love this author for her lyrical prose
and her magical stories. 






Henry James
I know he's not for everyone, but I have been an unabashed
Henry James fan ever since I first read Portrait of a Lady.








Mary Stewart
...who first introduced me to romantic suspense 
the way it should be done.








Barbara Michaels
...who added a thread of the supernatural to her suspense novels,
which I completely love.







Rosamunde Pilcher
The opposite of dark and eerie, I love Pilcher's
quietly romantic novels. Especially when they're set
in Cornwall or Scotland.









James Rollins
...whose every book is a fun and exciting adventure!









Simone St. James
...who writes the kind of Gothic ghost stories I love.











Agatha Christie
...who never disappoints.












Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
...who always keep me reading late into the night!








And the other authors who I couldn't bear to leave off my list:

Susanna Kearsley
Sharon Bolton
Edith Wharton
Kay Hooper
Katie Fforde
Ray Bradbury
Barbara Pym
Dawn Powell
Simon R. Green
Benedict Jacka
C.S.Harris
Patricia Briggs
Victoria Thompson
Arturo Perez-Reverte
Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Daniel Silva
Lois Duncan
And many, many more!

Happy Reading!






26 comments:

  1. Hi Lark. You have listed some excellent authors. I read Pride and Prejudice twice in my life and both times I marvelled at how good it was. I have only read the Bostonians by Henry James but tbat was enough to know hiw great he is and must read Portrait of a Lady. The other authors you listed intrigue me as well. I am particularly interested in Patricia McKillip. The cover art on her book drew me in. So nany books these days don't pay attention to cover art but McKillip's cover really beautiful and sets the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover art on McKillip's books is always amazing. It tends to match the lyrical writing inside. :)

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed all of these authors! I love that your list is as eclectic as my own reading habits tend to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An eclectic reader is exactly how I like to describe myself! :D

      Delete
  3. I have a hard time narrowing down favorite authors and books too. This looks like a fun list! I’m not familiar with all of them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've all written some great books. But it was hard to choose even this many for my list because there are so many other great authors out there.

      Delete
  4. Fun list! I actually haven't read many of these authors and the ones I have read, I've mostly only read 1-2 of their books. I have read every Sharon Bolton book, though! I also used to read TONS of Lois Duncan. I should re-visit her books and see what I think of them now that I'm an adult :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't get enough of Lois Duncan as a kid. I used to scan the library book sales looking for her books. :)

      Delete
  5. That's a great list. Mary Stewart and Agatha Christie are two of my favourites as well and I love Susanna Kearsley and
    Sharon Bolton's books too. There are a lot of authors on your list that I haven't read yet, so I'll have to investigate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not as many historical fiction authors on my list as I know would be on yours, but it's nice that we have some favorite authors in common. :)

      Delete
  6. Great list! And yes, you are a very eclectic reader!

    I've never read any Henry James, but he is on my list to try. I recently read The Master by Colm Toibin and it definitely made me even more curious to pick up a James novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Henry James! Just don't start with The Turn of the Screw. It's not his best. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I think our reading tastes overlap more than a few times. Let's see - I love Mary Stewart, Barbara Michaels, Agatha Christie, Jane Austen, Rosamunde Pilcher, and Sharon Bolton. These author are ones that I've read pretty much everything they have written or close anyway. Others on your list I've sampled. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do overlap a lot! But then, how can you not love those particular authors? :)

      Delete
  8. I plan to read James Rollins at some point! I have a few Patricia Briggs and Benedict Jacka books that I need to catch up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rollins has written some fun books! :) I think Amazonia and Excavation are my favorites.

      Delete
  9. Agatha Christie was my first favorite author. I've read almost every one of her mysteries. I think I read Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart when I was a teenager, I'll have to look it up to see if I did. James Rollins and Lincoln Child were authors I read before ever getting onto Goodreads. It's been some time since I've read one by them. I LOVE Patricia Briggs! One of my all-time favorite authors after reading hundreds of books. Great list here, Lark! I'm going to look up Mary Stewart again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Stewart's books are awesome. And I'm happily reading my way through the rest of Agatha Christie's mysteries. (I'm glad she wrote so many!)

      Delete
  10. You've got some fantastic authors on your list! I've read a couple of the Alpha and Omega books by Patricia Briggs and loved them. I still need to get around to the Mercy Thompson series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mercy Thompson series is awesome. I think you'll really like it. :)

      Delete
  11. Jane Austen would make my list too. :-) I think I might have an easier time listing favorite authors over books too. LOL Even though it would still be long, as you found. This is a great list, Lark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to cut your favorites down to a measly list of ten! I like way more authors than that. ;D

      Delete
  12. Great list, Lark. I'll be like Wendy; listing my favourite authors will be so much easier than listing my favourite books, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? There's NO way I could pick just ten favorite books!

      Delete
  13. So many wonderful authors here, and so many we share! Given that, I'll look into some of the authors you list that I haven't read yet, like Simone St. James and Preston & Child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really like Simone St. James. Preston & Child can get a little dark and gruesome, which I'm not sure is your thing. :)

      Delete