Saturday, May 25, 2019

One more classic...

I inherited a box of Westerns from my dad last year; books written by Louis L'Amour, Dan Parkinson, Zane Grey, Elmore Kelton, and Luke Short. There's something about the honesty of these independent cowboys, with their codes of honor and their willingness to fight for what's right, that I find appealing in Western fiction. (Plus, the good guys always win!)

So, when I was looking for a book to read for my "classic from a place you've lived" for Karen's Back to the Classics Challenge, I chose Sunset Graze by Luke Short because it's set in the western United States, which is where I live, and also because I've never read a Luke Short novel before and wanted to give one a try. This one was published in 1942. It's an action-packed and entertaining read with some great characters. I really enjoyed it. Here are a few excerpts to show you what I mean:

Dave came shakily to his knees, hurriedly shucking the empties out of his gun and slipping in new cartridges from his belt. ... they were out to get him, and it was merely a matter of time. It had begun with a question asked idly at the far edge of the desert, and it had trapped him in a wagon shed on a high-country ranch, and still he did not know the answer to the question of how Tip Macy had died. The irony of it brought a cold anger to his eyes...

Beth hesitated before she said, almost defiantly, "I don't believe you shot at Ed Seegrist." She went out, and Dave put both hands on the timbers and watched her go. Afterward he turned back to his bunk and sat down, and he was smiling. He thought he understood now why Ives wanted to help Beth Hilliard. There was something so feminine and honest in the way she'd said this that Dave felt a contrary and unaccountable liking for her. He'd baited her, half in contempt, and she'd risen to this bait. But there was something so clearheaded and forthright about her that she'd ignored it and spoken the truth, though it favored him. 

Ives watched him go, and when he was gone Ives tried to recall what Dave had said that made him believe the plan was possible. He couldn't recall one concrete fact; there was nothing, except a kind of calm, dogged insistence that he could dodge a bunch of angry men under an implacable sheriff to talk with a girl who had every reason in the world to despise him.

 Happy Reading!

Similar read:
Those Jensen Boys! by William W. Johnstone




24 comments:

  1. I remember my grandfather sitting in his recliner with a stack of Westerns on the end table and the floor. He favored Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey. I wish I had some of them today! My favorite western writer is Craig Johnson, and I enjoyed Tony Hillerman and Michael McGarrity. Lucky you, Lark, to inherit those old Westerns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think L'Amour will always be my favorite western writer, but it's been fun trying some of these others. I'll have to look for a Craig Johnson western now, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Elmer Kelton is my favorite westerns writer of them all. His early ones can be a little formulaic but his later ones, set in the early 1900s are really good. I recommend The Day the Cowboys Quit or something like Stand Proud. Unfortunately, Elmer died two or three years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to try a Kelton western, but I'm very glad to know which ones to try first. Thanks for the rec! :D

      Delete
  3. I do love it when the good guy wins! I'm sure the Westerns mean even more since you inherited them from your dad. I've been listening to a Western, although it was written recently, and I'm loving it. Enjoy your Westerns, Lark! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a handful of Daphne du Maurier and Norah Lofts book of the month club titles handed down from my mom. Parents who read are the best!

    Westerns are a genre I almost never read...the only exception I can think of is Lonesome Dove and The Sisters Brothers. I do have a paperback Louis Lamour, however, that I mean to give a spin one of these days. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents who read are the best! Mind made sure I always had lots of books around the house to read, and they read to me, and it's because of them that I love reading so much. And I hope you give the L'Amour a try one day. His books are a lot of fun. :D

      Delete
  5. Hi Lark, that is so great that you inherited a box of westerns from your Dad and Sunset Graze sounds good. I tend to like Western TV shows more than the books. I love Bonanza, The Rifleman in particular. But I did read one Louis L'Amour (How the West Was Won) and I can see why people would get hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch Bonanza reruns. They're always fun. :)

      Delete
  6. What fun! Inherited books are so special. My grandpaw had an almsot complete collection of Louis L'Amour hardbacks and read them all the time. Such good memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever read any of them? Louis L'Amour books are kind of fun.

      Delete
  7. I've never felt that drawn to reading Westerns, and yet... there are a few I would like to try. But it's always special to inherit well-loved books from those you love. Reading them gives you a sense of connection with that person, even when they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books do connect you with other people! I love owning books that I know my dad loved to read. :D

      Delete
  8. I've only read a few Westerns but there's something about them. My grandfather had some too and they have sentimental value for that reason. I also really liked The Marching Drum by Louis L'Amour even though it wasn't a Western. I'd like to read some Zane grey just to try 'em out.

    I like those quotes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read my first Zane Grey last year just to know what he's like. And he's a really good writer. But I think L'Amour is still my favorite.

      Delete
  9. I've heard of Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey, but not of Luke Short. I actually like Westerns, although I haven't read many of them. I need to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a nice break from suspense, psychological thrillers and mysteries. :)

      Delete
  10. I've never actually read a Western, although I'd be game to try. You make them sound really fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're a lot of fun...especially if you're not opposed to a good guy with a gun taking on the bad guys. :D Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  11. Oh, I love a good Western! My book club occasionally chooses a Western, and I'm gonna remember that this one might be a good candidate for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this author. I'd definitely try him again. :)

      Delete
  12. I really enjoy Westerns, but I've not heard of Luke Short. Will have to add him to my list--I liked the excerpts you provided. Action-packed is sometimes just the right kind of novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like this Luke Short novel was almost a cross between Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour. Full of action, and lots of fun. :)

      Delete