Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Anomaly by Michael Rutger

       "You're that guy ... The You Tuber. That archeologist guy. Unsolved mysteries and stuff."
       This, I should note, seldom happens. My grin in response was charming, and the accompanying shrug could have been used as a Wikipedia illustration of self-deprecation.
       "Guilty as charged," I said. "I am indeed Nolan Moore."


Nolan Moore is a failed screenwriter who is now the face of The Anomaly Files, a small-time YouTube show that seeks to uncover unexplained phenomena and other strange mysteries. This time he and his crew--his producer, Ken, assistant producer, Molly, and cameraman, Pierre, as well as a journalist and one of their new backers--are on the trail of a 1909 explorer who claims to have found a mysterious cavern hidden somewhere high up in the Grand Canyon reportedly full of wonderful things. This time their expedition is backed by the Palinhelm Foundation, and they have a shot at making the move to cable TV if they can actually find this cavern. Despite his immense amount of research on this project, Nolan doesn't really believe it'll be there, so when they do find a cave where he predicted it would be, he's as surprised as everyone else. Eager to enter and explore, none of them stop to question if what's hidden deep inside this lost cavern should be shown to the world...or if there's a reason what's inside should stay hidden forever.
It felt strange to be standing in a place where at some point -- hundreds or thousands of years ago -- there had been an intense fire and great heat. That was gone now, along with any hope of understanding what had caused it. All that remained was an unpleasant olfactory echo. And us, stuck, with no way out.
 The suspense mounts slowly in this one, but I thought it was a fun escapist adventure. But then, I've always liked survival stories that take place in mysterious caves. And you'll never guess what's in this one! Nolan is a fun character who doesn't take himself too seriously but is a surprisingly good person to have around in an emergency. I liked him and his crew (even though I thought Ken used the f-word a little too much.) There are some good twists along the way as they explore the cave, and some tense and suspenseful moments as they try to find a way back out. I liked Rutger's writing, though I did think the ending was a bit fantastic and out-there. Still, The Anomaly is a pretty entertaining read. (And it'd make a great Syfy movie.)

Happy Reading!

28 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read. And it seems very cinematic, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would love to see a movie or TV series made from this.

      Delete
  2. It does sound like an entertaining book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great read. I want to know what's in the cave! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a bit weird and a little wild.

      Delete
  4. I agree that the story sounds good, though I wouldn't like being stuck anywhere with no way out. Not at all! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I wouldn't want to be stuck in any cave any where!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes! I agree this would make a great T.V. series. :D Sort of like a modern mash up of The X-Files and Indiana Jones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nolan Moore is a great character; I'd totally watch him in a TV series. :)

      Delete
  6. I don't necessarily think this would be a book I want to read but I think it would make a great tv show/movie. I'd definitely watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I can read this one.

    It' funny that I'm not claustrophobic in the real world, but movies and books can give me that feeling when they take place in caves and other tight spots. Weirdness...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I find it hard to enter caves in real life because of how dark and closed in they are, but have no problem reading about them in books. Life is weird.

      Delete
  8. This sounds sort of like a Douglas Preston/Lincoln Childs novel. Haven't read one of theirs in a long time but I enjoyed them. I'll have to check into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is similar to a Preston/Child novel! (Though theirs are always a little bit better than this one was.)

      Delete
  9. The first thing I thought of when I was reading your review was Indiana Jones -- this is indeed a cinematic read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nolan is a little like Indiana Jones...but without the cool hat or the archaeology degree. :)

      Delete
  10. I still need an Arizona book for my "Literary Escapes" reading challenge, so I might give this one a go. It sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun adventure as long as you don't take it too seriously. :)

      Delete
  11. Ooh fun! I want to know what's in the cave. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was kind of cool.

      Delete
  12. I need to get into this series. It sounds like a great read and some of my favorite bloggers love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see this one on the screen from reading your review. It sounds so good! I am glad you enjoyed it, Lark.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mysterious caves are great settings for books! Perfect for October reading too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great! I wish more books had them. :D

      Delete