Friday, July 30, 2021

Pride and Prejudice with magic!

 
Title & Author:  Disenchanted by Kara Pleasants

First lines of first chapter:  Hertfordshire was not known for its magic. At least, not the kind of magic that was considered modern, effective, or quality.

My thoughts:  There have been numerous retellings of Pride and Prejudice, some better than others. In this one, Mr. Darcy is a talented wizard; Elizabeth, who is thought to have no magic, can secretly break enchantments; and there is a dangerous Necromancer Thief roaming the countryside stealing other people's magic. All the other characters from Austen's novel are also there. I laughed when Caroline Bingley's enchanted tea accidentally ended up cursing Jane. I also liked how in this one, Mr. Bennet is more astute and present and plays a larger role, having once been a talented wizard himself. And there's a very fun twist at the end with Mrs. Bennet that totally made me smile.

There were a few things that didn't work as well. I felt the whole Wickham storyline was completely unnecessary to Pleasants' plot. And I'm already very familiar with all of Austen's famous lines; I really don't need to have them repeated yet again here. In fact, I wish Pleasant had worried more about developing her own version of these well-known characters, and telling her own story, rather than trying so hard to adhere to Austen's original plot. Because I liked all the magic, and the idea of a secret Wizarding court with fun code names for each member, and how Darcy's magic needed Elizabeth's in order to catch the Necromancer. I wanted more of that!  

So while I loved the idea of this one, it ended up being just a 3-star read for me. Not awful, but not wonderful either. Though parts of it are very fun. And I'm not sorry I read it.

Happy Reading!


32 comments:

  1. Sometimes the idea is better than the product, but at least you don't regret the time reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there was enough about it that I liked to make up for where it lacked. It just could've been a lot better, you know?

      Delete
  2. I read several Pride and Prejudice pastiches a few years ago. I was really interested to see how writers took the idea and ran with it. Some of them were quite good. I think I would give this one a pass, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Pride & Prejudice retellings have been quite fun and entertaining. I even read one with dragons once that I quite liked. :)

      Delete
  3. It does sound like a good premise. Too bad it wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first half read slow because the author was trying to stick to close to the original story; the second half of the book was better.

      Delete
  4. I love reading books with twists on classics. Sometimes they're brilliant, other times they just don't work. But it's always fun to see how somebody else reimagines a beloved tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to see different versions of a book. I especially love Beauty & the Beast retellings. And this P&P retelling has some good points. I didn't hate it. I just couldn't give it higher than 3 stars.

      Delete
  5. The Cover is beautiful! Sorry it didn't quite hit the mark for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It wasn't necessarily a bad read, it just could have been so much better. But the cover really is beautiful. :)

      Delete
  6. It's a shame isn't it? I always get a little bored with too close a retelling, despite the 'twist' of magic or whatever. I suppose I don't like to know what's going to happen before it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! The author would have done much better if she'd worried less about sticking to the script and just wrote the characters her way and told her story. Because when she did that in this book, it really worked.

      Delete
  7. Bummer this one wasn't better. It sounds like it has a super cute setup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does...and it has some cute parts in it. I really liked about half of the book. The other half...not so much.

      Delete
  8. It so happens that I've been reading some Jane Austen fanfiction recently. (Someone recommended fanfiction on Archive of Our Own for getting over reading slumps, and it really works!) And lo, here I find you talking some more about Mr. Darcy! :) One retelling that you might like is Unequal Affections by Lara S. Ormiston, see if you want to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! Thanks for the recommendation. :D

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear you didn't like it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to like it more, but it just wasn't as good as I hoped.

      Delete
  10. I love that beginning! This sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does sound like fun and maybe as if they author was trying to be too faithful to the original which lead to the weakness of Wickham storyline being included. A good reworking I think has the confidence to drop what doesn't work for their own "new" version or to amalgamate characters, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. When Pleasant did concentrate on her own storyline it worked much better. She really didn't need Wickham in this one at all.

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear this was just an okay read for you. It sounds like the author probably should have just left Wickham out altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. Her own story line was enough.

      Delete
  13. Granted this wasn't the best read, but I am so intrigued -- this is the first magic retelling of P&P I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic part was very fun. I read another P&P spinoff called Dangerous Magic by Monica Fairview that was also fun. In that one Elizabeth ends up in an arranged marriage with Darcy because of their magic. :)

      Delete
  14. There's definitely a lot of retellings of P&P, but this one sounds refreshing given the magical element. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are so many re-tellings of Austen's works aren't there? I'm not too big on them but obviously if it's one that's really recommended then I'll check it out. Bummer this one wasn't quite as good as you expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a few retellings, and some I've liked and some have been pretty ho-hum. This one lands right in the middle.

      Delete