Thursday, October 14, 2021

Clowns vs. Spiders by Jeff Strand

 

"People just don't like clowns. ... If you went around and did a survey and asked a hundred random people if they thought clowns were funny or scary, ninety-eight of them would say scary. That's the way of the world now. ... I'm not renewing any of your contracts. You can still be clowns, but not at my circus."
After eighteen years entertaining people, Jaunty, Guffaw, Wagon, Bluehead and Reginald just got fired. Middle-aged, and with no other skills but clowning, Jaunty and the others are forced to take jobs at the Mountain of Terror haunted house in Mount Tulip, Virginia, as scary clowns in the Scary Clown Room. But scaring children is not why Jaunty or the others became clowns (though Bluehead seems to be exceptionally good at it). But just as Jaunty is having a crisis of conscience, the haunted house and the entire town of Mount Tulip are overrun by thousands of very big spiders. Jaunty is horrified. The only thing he wants to do is jump in the car and drive away. But there are innocent people that need saving. Besides...

"Clowns didn't run."

I couldn't resist this book, even though both clowns and spiders freak me out. And if you don't take this one too seriously, it's a very fun read. The clowns made me laugh and shake my head in equal measure. Jaunty was my favorite. Whenever the clowns draw imaginary straws to see who has to go and do the scary thing, Jaunty somehow always ends up with the short straw. And he always goes. The neverending swarm of very large spiders on the other hand was very creepy. I was definitely rooting for the clowns, though when it comes to saving the world, or any one in it, they're more like buffoons. But they try hard. And they never give up.

"It was time for clowns versus spiders, and the spiders were toast."

Happy Reading!

36 comments:

  1. Not a clown fan and certainly not a fan of spiders either. *shudders* But this sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was a movie, I would NOT watch it, too spider-filled, but the book ended up being fun.

      Delete
  2. Not a fan of clowns and spiders, yikes! But I suppose it's a fun read from another perspective. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, clowns and spiders have always kind of freaked me out. But the premise of this one was just too funny to pass up.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure the cover should be so scary for a book that is actually fun. I would avoid this one because of that freaky cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very freaky cover. But then so are the spiders in it. And there are some not very funny things that happen in this one, so that's probably why.

      Delete
  4. I've always been terrified of clowns and spiders, but this sounds like a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny. And you do end up liking these clowns.

      Delete
  5. even your post creeped me out so i'll probably not read this one, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These poor guys picked an unpopular profession and they sound nice. I'm not a fan of clowns or spiders! Terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like either things in real life either. But they're fun to read about.

      Delete
  7. I am glad to have read your review of Clowns vs. Spiders by Jeff Strand... I recently finished listening to Jeff Strand's Wolf Hunt trilogy and my review of it will be up in a couple of days! Jeff Strand has a wicked sense of humor and is great with dialogue and creating good characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff Strand does have a very wicked sense of humor. Who else would write a book called Clowns vs. Spiders? ;D

      Delete
  8. My sister lives next door to a couple of clowns, they are lovely people. But, I've never seen them dressed in costume! Great review Lark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clowns in this book are very lovely people, too. Even when they're going postal on the spiders.

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a pretty wild (and frightening) combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why Jeff Strand paired spiders up with clowns. What could be more horrifying?

      Delete
  10. Oh my. I don't like either of those things, but if it's war I'm all GO CLOWNS :):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, in my role of contrarian, I must say I am a big fan of spiders. They are the gardener's friend. Not so much a fan of clowns so I might not enjoy the outcome of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiders that eat garden pests are definitely good! Big spiders that eat people? Not so much. ;D

      Delete
  12. I've read a couple of his books and liked them and this sounds like a good one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strand is a fun author; if you like his other books, you'll probably like this one, too. :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Yep! But that's the kind of book Jeff Strand likes to write...offbeat and unexpected...and he does it well.

      Delete
  14. I think the cover is scary enough for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover really is scary! Probably the scariest thing about the book.

      Delete
  15. Oh wow, this sounds like a wild ride. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my crazy October Halloween read this year. :D

      Delete
  16. My that book cover is scary! Spiders & clowns seem like a spooky combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very spooky combo, but the book manages to be funny as well as scary.

      Delete
  17. Clowns can be scary and there are a number of films out there about them too but Jaunty and his friends I feel bad for. They like children and making people happy. It would be an interesting profession to have in real life although like anything in the arts it's probably hard to make a living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be so bad at clowning because I hate being front and center before a crowd of people. It's so not my thing. :)

      Delete