Thursday, December 15, 2022

Murder at the Serpentine Bridge by Andrea Penrose

 
The plot:  It's June 1814. Napoleon has just been exiled and London is preparing for a grand Peace Celebration. The Earl of Wrexford is out for an evening walk in Hyde Park with his two young wards, Raven and Hawk, and his dog when they stumble upon a body. The murdered man turns out to be Jeremiah Willis, an engineering genius. He was working on a new kind of weapon that could revolutionize war, but his plans and prototype have gone missing. The government enlists Wrexford's help in finding them. His wife Charlotte, who is also the satirical and talented artist A.J. Quill, is more interested in bringing Willis's murderer to justice. Especially when Raven and Hawk befriend Jeremiah's young nephew, Peregrine. Their investigation uncovers conspiracies, intrigue, lies, and more murder. 

My thoughts:  This is an entertaining mystery series. I've read all six books and enjoyed every one. And while I always find the history and their murder investigations interesting, it's the characters that I really love. Charlotte accused Wrexford of murder in the first book; I loved how these two went from reluctant allies, to hesitant friends, to valued partners. They're newlyweds in this book. I also love Raven and hawk. They're the two orphan street rats who are now part of Wrexford's and Charlotte's family, and part of every investigation. Their street smarts, loyalty and youthful exuberance make them truly appealing characters. And they definitely added to the fun in this new mystery. 

Happy Reading!


Other books in this series that I've reviewed:

34 comments:

  1. This seems like an intriguing read. And the characters sound interesting, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the characters! They're what keep me coming back to these books. :D

      Delete
  2. Ooh.. seems like a charming mystery! And the names of the wards: Raven and Hawk.. 😄 I should try this series someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven and Hawk are such fun, streetwise boys. They really add to the story. :D

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a great mystery. I really do need to check out this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it! Each book has gotten better. :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fabulous series, and I love the sound of Raven and Hawk. Beautiful cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven and Hawk are such fun characters! This book wouldn't be nearly as good without them.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a series I would enjoy. Yet another one to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the first book on my TBR. I'm so glad to hear you're still enjoying the series this far into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! But then I really love these characters and the way they interact with and support one another.

      Delete
  7. An interesting historical time & a mystery too! Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting time period. And a very fun read.

      Delete
  8. I can read almost anything with great characters! Fabulous review, Lark

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven' t read mysteries set in the regency period but I want to. One thing I have discovered in reading novels from the 19th century is how big a factor Napoleon and the Napoleonic wars played in history and literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! Something I never really studied or learned about in school, only in literature.

      Delete
  10. Oops I think I'm in spam haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, your first comment was in spam. Again. One of my own comments was spammed yesterday. At least we're in the same boat. ;D

      Delete
  11. Great review!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I have the first book in this series. It sounds so good. I'm sure I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book is fun...Wrexford and Charlotte really knock heads in that one.

      Delete
  13. This is an interesting pairing -- from accusations of murder to marriage -- this is bound to be an exciting ride!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great series! They've come a long way if she accused him of murder in the first book and now they're married, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so enjoyed watching their relationship develop and deepen over these six books! :D

      Delete
  15. I've been wanting to try this series. Charlotte and Wrexford sound like great characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! He was a bit hard to like in the first book, but he grows on you very quickly.

      Delete
  16. I am pretty sure that this would be a series that I would like.

    ReplyDelete