Monday, August 26, 2019

A riveting historical mystery...


"She took an involuntary step back ....Wind-whipped hair, dark as coal, tangled around his face. At first, all Charlotte could make out was a prominent nose, long and with an arrogant flare to its tip. But as he took another stride closer, the rest of his features snapped into sharper focus. A sensuous mouth, high cheekbones, green eyes, darkened with an undertone of gunmetal grey. Ye god, surely it couldn't be...."

THE EARL OF WREXFORD. He may have a brilliant scientific mind, but he's also a bit arrogant and reckless, too, especially when it comes to his own reputation. He's also the main suspect in the recent murder of the Reverend Josiah Holworthy.

CHARLOTTE SLOANE. A young widow and artist, she earns her money drawing satirical cartoons and caricatures of the rich and famous under the nom de plume A.J. Quill. She knows more secrets than she should and the Earl of Wrexford is one of her favorite targets.

In order to clear his own name, Wrexford seeks out the notorious Quill, discovers Charlotte's true identity, and convinces her to share some of her secret sources and informants with him....for a price, of course. Together they form a reluctant partnership, determined to ferret out all the secrets surrounding the Reverend's death before the Bow Street runners come for him.

Murder on Black Swan Lane by Andrea Penrose is the first book in a series revolving around these two engaging and unique characters. It's set in Regency London, and it's fabulous. I loved everything about it, from Raven and Hawk, the two young street urchins who assist Charlotte in her work, to Wrexford's well-educated and acerbic valet, Tyler. Charlotte's and Wrexford's investigation even leads them down the strange path of alchemy and to a secret society. It's great. I can't wait to read Murder at Half Moon Gate, the next book in this entertaining mystery series.

Happy Reading!

28 comments:

  1. I really loved this when I read it but now book three is coming out soon and I've not read book two. It's crazy how easy it is to get behind on these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always falling behind in series! Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever catch up. :D

      Delete
  2. I had problems with the first two books, but loved the characters, especially those Weasels, Raven and Hawk. My copies were uncorrected manuscripts so I hope the final additions cleared up the problems. I have a review of the third one in progress--and in many ways it is the best yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear the third one is even better. (Although I didn't notice any problems in this first book, so maybe they did fix what bugged you.)

      Delete
  3. Love the cover! I'm glad to hear the story and characters are engaging as well. I'll definitely check this one out. Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds intriguing to me. I like a good reluctant partnership. It usually means some fun banter awaits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theirs is definitely a reluctant partnership, but a fun one, too. :)

      Delete
  5. This does sound fun. Just the sort of thing I would like. And my library has it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love it when the library comes through with the book you want to read. :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds so good and that cover just screams READ ME. You've got me wanting this book so bad. On the wishlist it goes! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out the second book in the series and am excited to see what happens next with these characters. :)

      Delete
  7. Do I also detect a whiff of romance? Or am I making that up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author has definitely set the characters up for a possible romantic relationship in the future, though there are just hints of it in this book.

      Delete
  8. Ooh this might have me at alchemy and secret society. Plus the setting, and that wonderfully atmospheric cover. Just oozes mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book set in this time period isn't complete without some hint of a secret society. ;D

      Delete
  9. Is there a bit of romance? The story sounds really good, even without it, but still, I do love a bit of romance, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! In this first book, there's tension between the two characters that hints of a possible romance between them in the future.

      Delete
  10. This one sounds intriguing; and all the better with the setting and the interesting characters, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love that creepy misty cover! It conjures up thoughts of Jack the Ripper or Dracula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that cover, too. It's one of the reasons I picked up the book. :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Lark, it sounds really good and the Regency era one of my favorite time periods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been eyeing this series and am so glad you enjoyed the first book. Charlotte sounds like such a great character. I look forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is not one of my favourite eras, but these characters sound so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I can't wait to read this one. I do love a historical mystery!

    ReplyDelete