Wednesday, January 25, 2023

From the A Shelf...

 Author:  Anderson, Rachael Renee
Title:  Minor Adjustments


There are a lot of authors whose last names begin with A:  Austen, Auel, Atwood, Archer, Adler-Olsen, Adichie, Abbott. It was hard choosing just one book. In the end, I went with this novel by a local Utah author, Rachael Renee Anderson, because I was in the mood for a more light-hearted read....and it's set in Australia.

From the blurb:  "Bachelor Devon Pierce isn't sure what to think when he's appointed guardian of four-year-old Australian Ryan Caldwell--except that he's completely unprepared to be anyone's guardian. Leaving his Chicago business, he heads to Sydney to prove he isn't up for the responsibility. But Ryan's solicitor, Stella Walker, convinces him to give it a try--at least for a few weeks. Little does Devon know this 'minor' adjustment will turn his life upside down and grant him a future he never expected to have."

My thoughts:  This is a sweet and heartwarming story. At just 214 pages, it's not very long, and it reads fast. I really liked Devon, and enjoyed watching his transformation from single guy to loving Dad. The sparks between him and Stella were fun, too. And there's a lot of humor and a happy ending. All in all, this was a good pick from the A shelf, and it wraps up my Reading the Alphabet project....although I now have a list of other A authors I want to read. Like Mona Awad, Tahmina Anan, and Jeff Abbott. But that was kind of the whole point of this alphabet reading project:  to discover new books and new authors from the library shelves. And it definitely worked. Maybe someday I'll start back at Z and do it all over again. 

Happy Reading!

43 comments:

  1. Well done on completing this long challenge. I love how it's led to you discovering more authors to read. Ain't that just the way! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like any time I go into the library...or read any blogs...I'm adding new titles to my TBR list. At least I'll never run out of new books to read. :D

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on completing the challenge! And I am thinking its best to choose an author from each letter of the alphabet that ee have never read before. It's tempting to pick Austen, Alcott etc because we know what we are getting but a book where the author and the title totally unfamiliar can lead to a nice find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I really wanted to read new authors with this challenge and discover new favorite books along the way. :D

      Delete
  3. So good.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on completing your alphabet project! It sounds like such an interesting way of discovering new books and authors. I'm glad you found such a good book to read from the A shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun one. And now there are several others I want to try, too.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on finishing your challenge! Hooray for supporting local authors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on completing your challenge! I read this book a while ago and really enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute one, isn't it? I really liked how Devon related to Ryan.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like this one may have been short on pages but not short on enjoyment. What a feel-good story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a light and fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! It sounds so good. I added it to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is new to me but I think it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great challenge. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had a lot of fun discovering new books from AtoZ at my library.

      Delete
  12. I've had this on my TBR for years! I might have the physical copy somewhere but who knows since I moved. I did have it at some point. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I love the premise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very fun premise, isn't it? And I loved watching Devon figure out how to be a dad.

      Delete
  13. I love the concept of this Read the Alphabet project! I attempted a few reading challenges when I first started book blogging (which was...maybe eight years ago? I was in middle school, haha), but it's been ages since I've picked one up. Congratulations on wrapping it up :)

    claire @ clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took me more years than I thought it would, but I had fun doing it. And thanks for commenting. :D

      Delete
  14. Hope you have a wonderful day. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like a good one. And reading books based on the alphabet is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fun over the years. I might do it again someday.

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on finishing the alphabet challenge! I have always wanted to do something like that. Maybe if I give myself more than a year to work on it, I can make it work.

    Minor Adjustments sounds delightful! I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need longer than a year to really explore all the different shelves at the library...at least I did! But it's a lot of fun to do. :D

      Delete
  17. I bet you discovered lots of intriguing authors and some very good books along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did! It made going to the library even more fun. :D

      Delete
  18. Congrats on completing the challenge, Lark! This challenge sounds fun and all the more better that you got to discover new books and authors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love the sound of this challenge! I have never come across this author before and this sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a new author to me, too. And I thought the book was very sweet.

      Delete
  20. This does sound like a heart-warming story! I can't remember the last time I read a novel set in Australia! Congrats on completing your reading project.

    ReplyDelete