Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Death in the Dark Woods by Annelise Ryan

 "When it comes to the creature known as Bigfoot there are three camps of thought: the skeptics, the believers, and the folks who simply see it all as a way to make a buck."

 


MORGAN CARTER -- bookstore owner and cryptid hunter. "I don't search for cryptids to make money; I do it because I love it and to continue the work my parents did in the field...I'm a cynic at heart, and I approach my cryptid searches from a position of science and reality, not speculation and rumor."

CHARLIE ABERDEEN -- a conservation warden in Bayfield, Wisconsin. She's a believer. Because when she was thirteen, she saw something in the woods that looked remarkably like Bigfoot. She just can't prove it. 

JON FLANDERS -- Chief of police for Washington Island, located off the tip of Wisconsin's Door County Peninsula, and Morgan's...friend? Boyfriend? They're still figuring that one out. 

NEWT -- Morgan's large, half blind, lovably sweet rescue dog. 

"There's something strange going on in the Chequamegon National Forest. We've had some Bigfoot sightings in the area, a couple of which have been rather...disturbing. One of them may have torn a man apart."

 MY THOUGHTS:  This is another entertaining and well-written mystery from Annelise Ryan. Morgan and Jon are both very likable characters, each with their own tragedy in their pasts. I liked seeing their relationship grow a little more in this one. Morgan is smart and resourceful. And I love her dog, Newt. The Bigfoot angle made the mystery a lot of fun. (But then I'm always a sucker for Bigfoot sightings in any book.) And did they finally find evidence of this mysterious cryptid? You'll have to read it for yourself to find out. This is the second book Ryan has written about these characters, and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. 

Happy Reading!

Ryan's previous book:  A Death in Door County

Other "Bigfoot" novels:

33 comments:

  1. So glad this one is as enjoyable as book one! I shall read it at some stage. I bought Devolution for my Kindle so I will get to that at some stage. The J.J. Dupuis series seems only to be available in paperback form, no Kindle version. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is odd that you can't get any of Dupuis' books on Kindle. There are like 4 or 5 in the series, I think.

      Delete
  2. I want to read this series too. Probably ought to get started while there are just two of them. Love the Bigfoot angle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Bigfoot angle, too. And it's always good to get in on a series while you're only 2 books behind. I always hesitate to start a series when I'm instantly 10 books behind in it. Even when I know it's a really good one.

      Delete
  3. Another good one friend. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like a series that has a lot going for it. Maybe I should add another one to my impossibly long list. (She sighs dramatically!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;D Glad to help! I don't want to be the only one with an impossibly long TBR list.

      Delete
  5. This series sounds so good! I love the idea of a cryptid hunter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! I can't wait to see what cryptid shows up in the next book.

      Delete
  6. Dogs, cryptids and a mystery? This does sound like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it...though it does lean more towards cozy than thriller. :D

      Delete
  7. Well, this series sounds good and I like the cryptid angle along with the murder mystery.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cryptid angle is very fun! It's what made me check this series out in the first place. :D

      Delete
  8. Bigfoot! I'm in :) This ones sounds like a fun read - definitely adding it to my TBR list. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some fun characters in this one. It's an entertaining mystery. :D

      Delete
  9. I once read a romance with a bigfoot. lol This sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A romance with bigfoot? Can't beat that. ;D

      Delete
  10. Wow Bigfoot is still out there in the cultural imagination?! Heck yeah. Seems so '70s & '80s ... but why not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of TV shows in the late 70s and 80s that featured Bigfoot...that's probably what fueled my love of anything Bigfoot. :D

      Delete
  11. This sounds so fun! I love the Bigfoot angle--I've got someone in my family who needs this book NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I borrowed the first one and then didn't have time to get to it before the expiration date. I need to apply for it again. I really like this cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're entertaining mysteries....though they lean more towards cozy than thriller.

      Delete
  13. This sounds like a fun read; and all the more for that Bigfoot angle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hadn't heard of these, but I already love the characters based on the quick summary. Definitely adding to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters are great! It's always the characters that keep me reading in a series.

      Delete
  15. I am not familiar with Annelise Ryan but the characters sound good. I bought Devolution after I saw it at your blog, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devolution is SO good! And totally different from this book. This has more of a cozy mystery feel to it.

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed this one too and isn't Newt the best!

    ReplyDelete