Saturday, February 17, 2024

Her Radiant Curse by Elizabeth Lim

 "I was not born a monster."



Two sisters:  Channari and Vanna.

Channi, the oldest, was cursed by the demon witch, Angma, with the face of a snake when she was just a child. Her blood carries the killing poison of the Serpent King. Her younger sister, Vanna, on the other hand, is so beautiful foreign kings are vying for her hand. Her heart emits a magical radiance that Angma covets. 

Channi is determined to protect her sister from Angma, their greedy father, and all her suitors, especially the cruel King Meguh, not just because she loves her sister, but because she made a promise to their dying mother to keep Vanna safe. Even if it costs her her own life. 

"One sister must fall for the other to rise."

My thoughts:  This novel is a prequel to Elizabeth Lim's Six Crimson Cranes, but Channi's story stands on its own. And it's quite the adventure, with demons, talking snakes, and a nine-eyed witch. Channi is determined, impulsive, and strong-willed, a fighter who never gives up; she also longs to be loved. She's carried a lot of hurt and shame over the way others have treated her because of her monstrous face. I had a lot of sympathy for her. 

She meets an unexpected ally in Hokzuh, half-dragon, half-demon, who has his own reasons for going up against Angma. He's sarcastic and harsh, but he can also be kind, and he sees something of himself in Channi. I liked him. The other thing I really liked about this book is Lim's vivid descriptions and all the magic in it. It's an entertaining fantasy, but also sad. Though having read Six Crimson Cranes, I knew going in that Channi's story wasn't necessarily a happy one. 

Still I'm glad Melody and I chose this as our first buddy read of 2024. Be sure to check out her review of this one.

Happy Reading!

29 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this book and everything in it was so vividly described; and most of all the sisterhood between Channi and Vanna. I hope Elizabeth Lim will have a new book or series out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see what Lim writes next...and what legends and myths she draws on. I like that about her books. Thanks for another fun buddy read, Melody!

      Delete
  2. An interesting novel and Channi is a character to admire because the fact that she was cursed at birth with a monstrous face and taunted by others could have turned her into an evil character, jealous of her sister and determined to get revenge on people. But instead she is a good character trying to protect her sister. Maybe not outwardly beautiful but strength. Channi has alot of beauty and stength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Channi's life and childhood definitely gave her an inner strength which she really needed in this one. And she did everything in her power to save her sister.

      Delete
  3. Earlier in my life I read quite a lot of fantasy. In fact, it was almost exclusively what I read, but I guess I got my fill. I don't often go there anymore, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Whatever gives us joy in reading is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read mostly fantasy growing up, but I don't read it a lot any more either. Though I still love it. And this was a fun one even if the ending was sad.

      Delete
  4. This definitely sounds like a tough journey, but one worth reading if you're in the proper mood for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to be in the right mood for a book like this! I liked her other two books better.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I liked the magic and adventure of it. And Lim's lyrical descriptions.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed this one even though it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to get into fantasy now and again to inhabit the world of half demons and witches! Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a good fantasy every now and then. When I was younger it was my favorite genre.

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous cover. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one. It's sounds like an emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I liked her book Six Crimson Cranes a lot better.

      Delete
  10. Tough when you know the end of the story isn't going to be a happy one, but well worth getting the details.

    Sophia Rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope there was at least a happy ending in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks gorgeous but right now I'm leaning heavy into books with happy endings. I'm not quite ready for tougher books quite yes. I will keep this in mind because both this book and Six Crimson Cranes look worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to give this author a try, read start with Six Crimson Cranes! It's the better book.

      Delete
  13. I bet I would love this! I have the first of the Six Crimson Cranes duology on my TBR. I better move it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Six Crimson Cranes! And Lim's writing is very lyrical. :D

      Delete