Saturday, April 13, 2024

An unplanned bookish chain...

 


I started off last week reading How to Dance by Jason B. Dutton. It's an imperfect but sweet romance. I really loved Nick Freeman; he's a math teacher, star of Friday night Karaoke, and all-around good guy. He also has cerebral palsy, needing a walker to help him stand, balance and walk. His character was so well developed. Probably because the author himself has cerebral palsy. His counterpart, Hayley Burke, is a graceful and lovely dancer with her own insecurities and struggles. I enjoyed seeing Nick and Hayley learn to dance with each other. 

After finishing How to Dance I started reading the American Mystery Classic Waltz Into Darkness by Cornell Woolrich, never even noticing the dance/waltz connection between the two titles until my mom remarked on it. (She always asks me about the books I'm reading.) But I thought it was a fun coincidence. 

What I loved most about this classic mystery is Woolrich's prose. There's brevity and poetry in his style of writing. Like when Louis Durand reads a telling letter about his new bride, Woolrich writes, "If dried ink on paper can be said to scream, it screamed up at him." 

This noir mystery is a haunting tale of doomed love with a beautiful woman and her web of lies and a man desperate for love at the center of it. It took a turn halfway through that I was not expecting, and I while I didn't love the second half as much as the first half, I did like this one overall and would definitely read this author again. 

Then, to finish off this unplanned chain of books, I went from reading Waltz Into Darkness to Some Choose Darkness by Charlie Donlea. That both titles have darkness in them was another nice coincidence.

This is a compelling psychological thriller. A little complicated and dark at the beginning, but very suspenseful at the end, even though I did guess two of the twists. I especially liked Rory Moore; she's a forensic reconstructionist, "her DNA programmed to see things others missed, to connect dots that looked scattered and incongruent to everyone else. Rory's uncanny mind would piece together bits of a puzzle everyone else's had deemed unsolvable until she had reconstructed the crime in its entirety." She's one of those characters you don't soon forget, and I look forward to reading Donlea's next book with her in it. 

So that's what I've been reading...my unexpected and unplanned chain of books. All different; all enjoyable. 
Happy Reading!


26 comments:

  1. That's kind of cool when links like those happen. Usually it's similar books that lead one to another for me, but the randomness of the titles is even more unusual. Nice. I like what you say about the main character in Some Choose Darkness. Sounds fascinating and worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed the few books by Donlea that I've read. I'm eager to read more by him. And I got lucky with this serendipitous chain of books. Most of the time it's only the romances I read that sync up because their plots and titles are always so similar. :D

      Delete
  2. Both sound good. I hope your next read is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I hope you have a great week. :D

      Delete
  3. How to Dance sounds like a lovely romance. It's nice to have a hero with real-life issues. Some Choose Darkness sounds like my kind of mystery. A forensic reconstructionist sounds like a neat job! Wonderful reviews, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both books, though neither one was a perfect read. It was really the characters in both that made the books for me. :D

      Delete
  4. Waltz Into Darkness sounds good. I love the covers of those American Mystery Classic books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Waltz Into Darkness, but then I do like those classic mysteries. :D

      Delete
  5. A very good chain of books and I have been meaning to try 6 degrees of separation and should make an attempt this year.

    I read Cornel Woolrich's 1940 classic The Bride Wore Black. He is a very talented writer. His books are dark and yet he had something to say about how he sees the world which is disturbing but fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my library had a copy of The Bride Wore Black...I'd read that one next. Maybe I could request it...

      Delete
  6. I love this! That is so fun - a bookish chain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was what I like to call a little bookish serendipity. :D

      Delete
  7. What a fun bookish chain! I love it when coincidences like that happen. All of these books sound great. I'm going to see if my library has any of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when this happens--especially when it's unplanned. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably couldn't have planned it if I'd tried! ;D

      Delete
  9. Donlea's Some Choose Darkness sounds good, especially with a forensic reconstructionist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Rory a lot! I'm very interested in reading his other book with her in it.

      Delete
  10. Funny how they each kind of tie into each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd tried to plan it I never could have come up with three titles that tied together so well. ;D

      Delete
  11. It isn't often that characters with disabilities make the main list. This sounds like a sweet read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick and how he deals with his cerebral palsy is definitely what I loved most about How to Dance!

      Delete
  12. These all look fun and what a good accidental chain. I really like the sound of all of them and while I've heard of Donlea I haven't heard of that one. Adding to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a few of Donlea's books now and have enjoyed all of them. He's one to check out for sure.

      Delete
  13. How nice to have a serendipitous book chain. I will have to add the Cornell Woolrich book to my wish list. I have not read anything by Woolrich, except maybe a short story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His book surprised me...but in a good way. I just really enjoyed the way he writes.

      Delete