Sunday, April 7, 2024

Just a Regular Boy by Catherine Ryan Hyde

 

First line: 
Remy Blake was five years old when his father drove him away from Pocatello for the last time. 

The plot:  Raised in isolation by his survivalist father in the far northern woods of Idaho, Remy learns to hunt and fish, but not how to live in the real world. He's taught to fear it instead. Then his father dies, leaving him all alone in the wilderness. Only eight, Remy struggles to survive, but the threat of starvation finally forces him to seek out the nearest town for food. When authorities finally find him, he's badly injured, traumatized, half-starved, and mute. That's when Anne and her husband, Chris, enter the picture. They've already adopted two children. But Anne is determined to give Remy a safe home, too. No matter how difficult the next part of his journey may be. 

My thoughts:  My heart went out to Remy. He's one tough little boy. His narrative was my favorite part of this book. All of his struggles, both survial-wise and emotional, were so gripping.  His story alternates with Anne's narrative. Her struggles to be a good wife and mom weren't quite as compelling, but I still liked her, especially all her interactions with Remy, as she tried to help him work through his past traumas and validate his feelings. This book is both heartbreaking and heartwarming. And it raises some interesting questions about fear and how people choose to respond to it. All in all, this turned out to be a 4-star read for me. 

Happy Reading!

Similar read:

32 comments:

  1. I hate it when one of the POVs is more compelling than the other! Seems like this one ended up well balanced either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty balanced. It helped that so much of the book was centered around Anne's interactions with Remy. Because for me he's the best part.

      Delete
  2. It does sound heartbreaking and heartwarming! Poor Remy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds good. Catherine Ryan Hyde- I thought I'd read something by her, sounds familiar, but I must be getting her mized up with another author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read one other book by her, Take Me With You, which I also really liked. She's written a lot of books. I'd like to read some more by her.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This sounds so good! Poor Remy! I need to start reading more Catherine Ryan Hyde - omg!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's written a lot of books. I really liked Take Me With You, and of course, this one. Haven't read any of her others, but I want to. :D

      Delete
  5. Not sure I can read anything heartbreaking just yet. I try to stay away from anything to emotional still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that! This one is very emotional...but the ending is happy, so that helped.

      Delete
  6. Catherine Ryan Hyde's books are always make me cry. I haven't read this one, but I have enjoyed some of her other books. I am glad you liked this one, Lark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books always make me cry, too! (At least the two of them that I've read.)

      Delete
  7. This does sound very compelling, although I am not sure I would want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta read what you like! Life is too short to spend time on books that don't intrigue or interest you.

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy reading your posts. Have a wonderful day. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, poor Remy! This sounds like it'll tug at the heartstrings. I'll have to see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. She's an author I think you would like. :D

      Delete
  10. I don't think I've ever read this author, but it does sound heart-wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only the second book I've read by her, but I definitely want to check out some of the other ones she's written.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like one that would pull on the heart strings for sure! Great review, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. But then I think most of her books do that.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a great story, but I wonder if it would have worked even better if the boy was its only narrator...sort of like The Room (I think that's the title) handled a complex story with an even younger narrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have liked it even better if it had been told soley from Remy's POV. And it might have had an even bigger impact that way, too.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Yes. He had a very hard time of it. But a good ending.

      Delete
  14. My heart already hurts for Remy. And I can totally see where his POV would be more compelling than Anne's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly his story that made me want to read the book in the first place...and this book could have been told solely from his POV. But I did still like Anne.

      Delete
  15. Oh this sounds wonderful and intense and heartbreaking. I've read and thoroughly enjoyed other books by this author and this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add this one to your list. It's a good one!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for your comment on my book by the same author, When I found you. It looks like she can write well about people with problems. I'm sure my friend has more of her books and will lend me a few when she hears that I liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her other book that I really liked is Take Me With You. I'm going to try her book Seven Perfect Things next. I hope it's equally good. :D

      Delete