Friday, June 28, 2024

Daughter of Mine by Megan Miranda

 
How it begins: "They raised the car from the lake on the same day as my father's memorial, two unrelated but equally newsworthy events: Something lost. Something found."

Where it takes place:  The isolated community of Mirror Lake nestled in the mountains of North Carolina.

The main players:  Hazel Sharp and her two brothers, Gage and Caden Holt.

The mystery:  The truth of what really happened when Hazel's mother ran off and left them all those years ago.

My thoughts:  Finally! A thriller that doesn't disappoint. (It's the third one I've read so far this summer and the only one I actually liked.) It's full of family secrets, quiet threats, mounting suspicions, and taut suspense. I enjoyed how Hazel unravels the truth of things bit by bit. It's so good; and it reads fast. This is the kind of thriller I was hoping for this summer. And it definitely makes me think I need to check out some of Miranda's other books. 

My rating:  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Reading!

24 comments:

  1. This sounds right up my alley and I've been to the mountains in North Carolina, so that would make it extra interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to visit North Carolina and explore both the mountains and the beaches there! Hopefully I'll get there someday. :D

      Delete
  2. You read the best books. Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Regine! I got lucky with this one. :D

      Delete
  3. I've enjoyed a couple of Miranda's mysteries and so I'm happy to hear this was a good one. I hope to get to it at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this one. It was a fun summer read. :D

      Delete
  4. It sounds fabulous! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this writer but, on the basis of your review, I think perhaps I should make her acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked her writing. And the mystery in this book was well plotted. I'd like to try some of her other books.

      Delete
  6. Yay for finally finding a successful thriller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took long enough! I was beginning to lose hope. ;D

      Delete
  7. I’ve read just one book by her. It was good. This one archived sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. Which book by her did you read?

      Delete
  8. I like the sound of the setting. Glad it worked well for you. Will keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely better than the other two thrillers I read this month!

      Delete
  9. I gave this one five stars as I found it very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way it begins and I am already intrigued. And I know what you mean about thrillers. Too many twists rather than a straightforward plot with well drawn characters. I will check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when the author adds in one twist too many. Or when you end up hating all the characters.

      Delete
  11. That's a pretty good first sentence. I have been in the Blue Ridge mountains in NC -- an enticing setting for a thriller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really love to see the Blue Ridge Mountains someday.

      Delete
  12. What a great opener! It pulls me in and makes me want to know more. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you liked this one! I love thrillers too... I'm a little leery about reading another novel written by Megan Miranda after reading and reviewing her novel, Such A Quiet Place.

    ReplyDelete