Monday, October 7, 2024

Death From a Top Hat by Clayton Rawson

 

When an occultist is found dead in a locked room, and the only suspects are an escape artist, a ventriloquist, a clairvoyant and her husband, and a professional medium, the police call in the Great Merlini, a master magician himself, to help them figure out who the murderer is. Because it takes a magician to catch one. And Merlini is very skilled in magic and misdirection. And they're going to need all his skills of deduction when a second magician is murdered just like the first.
"Of course, Inspector," Merlini said, "the really difficult crimes to solve, as you know, are the ones in which anyone might have popped in and done it. But when, as in this case, it seems that no one could possibly have murdered either man, it means that, once we find out how they were done, we will know who did them. The impossible situation, by its very uniqueness, ultimately limits the possibilities." 
Clayton Rawson, a talented magician himself, wrote this mystery in 1938. And it is so much fun! I loved Merlini and how he and Ross Harte, the writer/journalist narrating the story, banter with the police and discuss all the possible ways a murderer could escape a locked room, quoting from the best detective novels and crime fiction afficianados. Their discussion of classic magic tricks was also fun. And while I didn't figure out whodunnit, the clues were there. And the Great Merlini was more than happy to explain them all at the end. I've read several Golden Age mysteries this year, and this is one of my favorites.

Happy Reading!

21 comments:

  1. Thank you all your love and care for me.
    Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there, Regine! My prayers are with you.

      Delete
  2. That period - the '30s and '40s - certainly was a golden age for mystery writers. So many excellent writers were active then whose works live on today and continue to give pleasure to us mystery lovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy these classic mysteries. I love their slower pacing, and their witty dialogue, and their fun plots. :D

      Delete
  3. This sounds fun! I've never heard of this book or author, but I would definitely like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminded me a little of Tom Mead's Joseph Spector mysteries, although I guess this one came first. But it's fun having a magician helping to solve the crime. :D

      Delete
  4. Well that sounds different and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. Merlini is a great character. :D

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great classic mystery! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these classic mysteries. They're just a lot of fun to read. :D

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a fun read, despite being a murder mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you read such a wide variety of books, authors, and don't just stick with recent books, but will read ones written decades ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These golden age mysteries are so fun to read! I love them for their old-fashionedness...which I know isn't a word, but there you go. ;D

      Delete
  9. Love the sound of this one. I was always obsessed with magic as a kid, so combining that with a mystery is a real win for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magicians in this one were great. And I loved all the misdirection and how Merlini could see through it and figure out who the murderer was. A very fun read. :D

      Delete
  10. This sounds so fun! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. Merlini gives a lot of explanations about misdirection and magic tricks and crime novel detectives, but I didn't mind; I just enjoyed reading this one. :D

      Delete
  11. This does sound really entertaining!

    ReplyDelete