The Plot: Gertie, a London romance author, is suffering from a broken heart...and writer's block. And her next romance novel is due in just a few weeks. But she can't write a word. Then she wakes one morning to find a rugged cowboy on her couch. And not just any cowboy. This cowboy looks exactly like River Oakley, the villain from her romances. But how can a fictional character from Bedlam Creek, Texas, a town she made up, be real? As for River, he just wants to go back home. So he agrees to help Gertie win back her ex in the hopes it will end her writer's block, enabling her to finally finish her novel and send him back to where he belongs. Neither one is expecting to fall in love.
My thoughts: Cute (and unique) plot. Fun characters. And a swoony romance...though I could have done without the spicy scenes and all the f-bombs. River was gruff, sexy and good for Gertie, helping her find her own main character energy. It was nice seeing her go from wanting to be someone's sidekick to being a romantic hero in her own right. And seeing River navigate London, tea, and her neighbor's dog, Squish, was both entertaining and humorous. I enjoyed this one.
My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Happy Reading!

This sounds like a book for me
ReplyDeleteLet me know how you like it! :D
DeleteYeah a lot of f-bombs in a book don't often help ... but the plot sounds pretty entertaining.
ReplyDeleteThe book would have been just as good without them. And it is a fun read.
DeleteI really liked this one too! What a fun plot, and I really enjoyed seeing River in London.
ReplyDeleteRiver in London was so funny! This book did make me smile.
DeleteI like books with a unique plot. Great review!
ReplyDeleteThat's what I really liked about this one. Not predictable, which was nice.
DeleteThis looks really good! It's always a bit jarring when the author throws in language or spice that don't seem to fit the rest of the book. Glad it didn't mess up the reading too much though.
ReplyDeleteThe story is still cute and I liked the characters. :D
DeleteThat sounds so fun!
ReplyDeleteIt was.
DeleteThis sounds very unusual and a lot of fun. Yeah, I'm with you on spicy scenes and bad language, especially the latter... you can skip-read spicy scenes but f bombs not so much. I will look it up though.
ReplyDeleteIt is a charming read. I did like it.
DeleteThis sounds so cute! I agree with spicy scenes, sometimes they just aren't needed.
ReplyDeleteAgreed. I prefer closed door romances myself.
DeleteThis sounds fun. I don't like F-bombs either.
ReplyDeleteYeah...they just feel so unnecessary. Especially in a romance.
DeleteThis is a unique plot where a character comes out of the novel the author is writing to help them finish the book. It sounds like it's worth a read
ReplyDeleteIt is a fun romance.
DeleteThis sounds like such a fun read! That's too bad about the f-bombs and spicy scenes. Great review, Lark! :D
ReplyDeleteI still liked the book, but would have liked it even more without those things in it. Easier to recommend it then, too.
DeleteA dog named Squish, I love it.
ReplyDeleteI loved Squish! :D
DeleteIt's a fun read.
ReplyDeleteI didn't love this one because of Gertie pining for her ex so much when he was an obvious tool! Glad to see you enjoyed it more. :)
ReplyDeleteI really liked River.
DeleteI don't often read romance novels but this one sounds like something I might enjoy.
ReplyDeleteYou can always try it and if you're not loving it quit. I've been doing that a lot these days. ;D
Delete