Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Children's Book Day

"I have always been a reader; I have read at every stage of my life, 
and there has never been a time when reading was not my greatest joy.  And yet I cannot pretend that the reading I have done in my adult years matches in its impact on my soul the reading I did as a child.  I still believe in stories.  I still forget myself when I am in the middle of a good book.  Yet it is not the same.  Books are, for me ... the most important thing; what I cannot forget is that there was a time when they were at once more banal and more essential than that.  When I was a child, books were everything." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale



     On Children's Book Day, take a moment to remember the books you loved as a child.  Revisit the magic and wonder of Oz.  Return to the world of Nancy Drew where mystery and adventure ruled.  Reread Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone or The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  Pick up any children's book that once made you smile and remember how it felt to read your favorite book from childhood for the very first time.  Which childhood book will you choose?



Happy Rereading!

4 comments:

  1. Love that quote. I loved so many books as a child but if I had to pick I'd go with Anne of Green Gables or Little Women. Read over and over and over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are both great stories...and definitely bring back good memories of childhood.

      Delete
  2. So hard to choose...ones I read over and over were "The Great Brain at the Academy," "Born Free," and "Black Beauty," as well as some of the ones you mentioned. The quote is wonderful. Maybe I will pick up one of these again, just for old times sake!

    ReplyDelete