Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Fate of Mercy Alban by Wendy Webb

I like a bit of Gothic in my fiction now and then, maybe that's why I like The Fate of Mercy Alban by Wendy Webb.  Not only does this novel have a haunted house with hidden passageways and lurking ghosts, but there's also some strange deaths, a tragic love story, a hushed-up family curse, and a lost manuscript that may or may not exist.  What more could you ask for?

In the wake of her mother's death, Grace Alban discovers some old love letters that lead her to question her family's past.  As she searches for the truth, the web of secrets and lies surrounding Alban House begins to unravel.  Strange things start to happen in the house.  Even more threatening, Grace feels she is being watched...not by the ghosts from her past, but by something much more malevolent.

If you're looking for a fun Gothic thriller, check out The Fate of Mercy Alban.  The ending, especially, will keep you reading late into the night.  Wendy Webb's first novel, The Tale of Halcyon Crane, is also worth checking out.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh- ghost stories! I will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about buying this a few times but somehow never did. Sounds good, next time it catches my eye, I will stick in the basket :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Wendy Webb's books. She's a good author.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good summer read to me! I will add it to me ever-growing list. So many books, so little time...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am halfway through The Tale of Halcyon Crane and enjoying it! I will have to read this one, too. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete