Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Bookish Kiss...

     "From (Lucy's) feet the ground sloped sharply into view, and violets ran down in rivulets and streams and cataracts, irrigating the hillside with blue, eddying round the tree stems, collecting into pools in the hollows, covering the grass with spots of azure foam. But never again were they in such profusion; this terrace was the well-head, the primal source whence beauty gushed out to water the earth.
      "Standing at its brink, like a swimmer who prepares, was the good man. But he was not the good man that she had expected, and he was alone.
      "George had turned at the sound of her arrival. For a moment he contemplated her, as one who had fallen out of heaven. He saw radiant joy in her face, he saw the flowers beat against her dress in blue waves. The bushes above them closed. He stepped quickly forward and kissed her."



This is one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite books: A Room With A View by E.M. Forster. This classic novel has everything any one could want: a trip to Italy, a stolen kiss, one of the most humorous skinnydipping scenes ever written, a broken engagement, and true love. Plus, it's funny. (Even the chapter headings make me smile.)

Lucy Honeychurch is an appealing heroine; and she and George Emerson are one of my favorite literary couples. Will they get together in the end, or won't they? It all depends on whether Lucy follows her head, or her heart. If you haven't read this book yet, start it today. You're in for a treat.



4 comments:

  1. It has been awhile since I read this one! I need to add it to my "re-read" list. My TBR list is always longer than the hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too. Every time I read one book from my TBR list, I add two more.

      Delete
  2. I love this book too, and you enumerate the many reasons why. I confess that I had forgotten about this flow of violets and so now I want to reread the novel to remember what else I've forgotten.

    Thanks for making me smile this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy; thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete