Thursday, November 10, 2016

A bookish memory...


One of the first books I remember being able to read all on my own is Dr. Seuss's Hop on Pop. I especially liked the feeling I got when I mastered the two long words at the end:  Timbuktu and Constantinople.  My Dad even helped me find them on a map. I think that's when my desire to travel to exotic places first began. With those two words. Timbuktu and Constantinople. All because of Dr. Seuss.

Then, in the first grade, I fell in love with Hugo the Hippo by Thomas Baum. Don't ask me why. But I got it from a Scholastic book order and I read it incessantly that entire year. (Apparently, it was an animated film first...which I never knew until now.) I think I still have it in a box somewhere, a bit ratty and torn and yellow with age, but very well-loved. It's a story that takes place in Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar. Two more words that are fun to say, and two more exotic places I've always longed to visit. All because of a children's picture book.



It was Mary, Queen of Scots by Antonia Frasier that led me to Edinburgh, and House of Rain by Craig Childs that sent me on a road trip to Hovenweep, Mesa Verde and Chaco Canyon. And while I haven't been to Zanzibar or Timbuktu yet, I still dream of traveling to both of those places, just as I still remember those two books that started me dreaming in the first place.

Aren't books wonderful?
Happy Reading!

15 comments:

  1. Yes, books are wonderful. I never really thought about it but reading silly regency romances is what made me want to travel to England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go! I blame my yen to see Cornwall someday on Rosamund Pilcher. :)

      Delete
  2. I find it amazing the influence first books can have on kids! Books they never forget and always find comforting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think childhood reads become part of your literary DNA. :)

      Delete
  3. Now I have to look up House of Rain--I spent my youth going to Mesa Verde, Hovenweep, Chaco Canyon and other southwest sites that my English father was mad about (and that were within striking distance of our house!). I always credit Gone With the Wind as sparking my serious interest in the American Civil War. I love to make literary pilgramages and books bring the world to my living room.

    Great post, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary pilgrimages are the best! So much of what I love originated in a book. And definitely check out House of Rain. It's an amazing read! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I have fond memories of Scholastic book fairs in elementary school! I am pretty sure I purchased The Saturdays and The Four Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright in scholastic versions. I still remember learning about cupolas and petit fours and being fascinated by children allowed to walk about New York City unaccompanied. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those book fairs are the best! And you never forget the books you read as a child; it's like they become part of your heart and soul. :)

      Delete
  5. I had Hugo the Hippo too! Never saw the film though. I definitely remember those exotic places...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally! Another person who once read Hugo the Hippo. :D
      (I never even knew it was a film until I wrote this post.)
      But I remember the book!

      Delete
  6. One of my early book memories is reading Misty of Chincoteague over and over. I still want to go see the ponies swim the channel from Assateague island someday! I loved House of Rain, and I also want to visit Cornwall. And all the Laura Ingalls Wilder historical spots. Books definitely open up the world! Thanks for your wonderful blog post and a trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books take you many places...and make you want to travel to many more. :)

      Delete
  7. Ah, the fond memories of our first book. I think mine will be Enid Blyton, following Nancy Drew. Books fairs always make me happy but I didn't buy lots of books then as I made full use of the school library. Those were some happy days... I'm being nostalgic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookish nostalgia is good. Nancy Drew was a favorite of mine, too. :)

      Delete
  8. I loved Hop on Pop. Inside, Outside, Upside Down was another early favorite. I think it played to my sense of adventure and imagination as to what might happen if you had a box big enough to hide in. I read that one a lot.

    ReplyDelete