Saturday, November 26, 2016

In Order to Live

"I wasn't dreaming of freedom when I escaped from North Korea. I didn't even know what it meant to be free. All I knew was that if my family stayed behind, we would probably die--from starvation, from disease, from the inhuman conditions of a prison labor camp. The hunger had become unbearable; I was willing to risk my life for the promise of a bowl of rice."

Yeonmi Park's story of growing up in North Korea is one of deprivation, oppression, hardship, and struggle. Her escape into China when she was only thirteen is an even more harrowing tale of suffering and survival. I doubt I could have endured even half of what she went through. Reading her story made me appreciate even more the country I live in, and the freedoms I enjoy...and often take for granted. It breaks my heart to think that such terrible atrocities are still happening in the world today, and that oppressive societies like North Korea still exist. How is that even possible?

Park's unflinching memoir is both eye-opening and heart-breaking. It's also a story that everyone should read! I think what I admire most about Yeonmi Park is her courage, resilience, and inner strength; and her hope and optimism through it all. (And the fact that she loves books and reading as much as I do.) In writing this book, she says, "I am most grateful for two things: that I was born in North Korea, and that I escaped from North Korea. Both of these events shaped me, and I would not trade them for an ordinary and peaceful life ... I have seen the horrors that humans can inflict on one another, but I've also witnessed acts of tenderness and kindness and sacrifice in the worst imaginable circumstances. I know that it is possible to lose part of your humanity in order to survive. But I also know that the spark of human dignity is never completely extinguished, and that given the oxygen of freedom and the power of love, it can grow again."

Happy Reading!

Similar reads:
Escape From Camp 14 by Blaine Harden
In the Shadow of the Banyan by Vaddey Ratner

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting and heartbreaking book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I sometimes think books like this should be required reading for all Americans so that we better appreciate what we have, you know?

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a must read. I haven't read too many books about North Korea, although I have a couple on my shelf. I will have to look for this one. I can't even imagine what she must have gone through. I love the quote you ended with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her story is an amazing one! If you can find a copy, definitely read it. :)

      Delete
  3. I've been curious with this book ever since I've laid my eyes on it. I didn't pick it up immediately due to the non-fiction genre. I'm glad this book is worth reading and not to mention an inspiring one. Will add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a good writer and her story reads like a really good novel...it just happens to be true. I hope you get a chance to read it!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow what an amazing story! We know so little about N. Korea, what better way to get to know it (or try to understand it, if that's even possible) than from someone who has actually lived it. I must add this to my non-fiction TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very compelling (and heartbreaking!) read. I'm so glad Park had the courage to write her story; more North Koreans need to tell theirs. Then maybe the rest of the world would finally help them get out from under their repressive regime.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fantastic book--it's hard for me to comprehend a life like this and a place like North Korea.

    Words to live by: "But I also know that the spark of human dignity is never completely extinguished, and that given the oxygen of freedom and the power of love, it can grow again."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! This book was both sad and inspiring.

      Delete
  6. I especially like the quote from someone who had been through what this young woman has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty impressive, huh? She's an amazing person, and her story is unforgettable.

      Delete