Friday, August 18, 2017

The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman

How it begins:
"In the sun-warmed quiet of her uncle's library, Lady Helen Wrexhall spread the skirt of her muslin morning gown and sank into the deep curtsy required for Royal presentation:  back held straight, head slightly bowed, left knee bent so low, it nearly touched the floor. And, of course, face set into a serene Court smile."
But 18-year-old Lady Helen Wrexhall is not your typical debutante. She has hidden gifts and intuitive powers that other young ladies don't have.  Gifts she inherited from her mother...who died in disgrace ten years ago. 
"...reading expressions was her one true accomplishment. When she concentrated properly on a face, her accuracy was startling and a little disturbing. It certainly made her aunt and uncle uneasy, and they had forbidden her to voice her observations about anyone...Girls were meant to paint screens and play pianoforte, not see through the masks of polite society."
Then there's Lord Carlston, who knew her mother and who seems to know more about Helen than he should. And Helen doesn't know if she can trust him.  Her brother certainly doesn't.
"Lord Carlston was handsome, Helen conceded...and the brown of his eyes was so dark that it merged with the black pupil, making their expression impenetrable. It was very disconcerting and gave him a flat look of soullessness .... Helen dipped into her curtsy but did not lower her eyes as modesty decreed, instead, studying Lord Carlston as he bowed. He was studying her just as closely, his gaze far too penetrating for politeness."
Lord Carlston shows Helen abilities she never knew she possessed. And he tells her why she has them. That it has to do with demons and darkness and saving the world.  That Helen is a Reclaimer. It's an inheritance Helen isn't sure she wants. And the story continues from there--an entertaining and fun (although rather long) supernatural adventure set in the Regency era. (And this story is followed by two more books; The Dark Days Club is book one of a trilogy!)


 Happy Reading!

18 comments:

  1. You had me until you said, "long". Is it just a longer book or does it FEEL long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't feel long through the whole book--for the most part it reads really well--but I have to admit there were a few times here and there where it did start to feel a little long and I found myself skimming just a little bit. But then I tend to do that with books that are over 450 pages. ;D

      Delete
  2. I am glad you liked this one! I thought it was fun. Do you thing you are going to read on in the trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I think I am. I might not get to the second one until Christmas, because it's also kind of long, but I'm curious to see what happens with Helen. Have you read the rest of the series? (And are they worth reading?)

      Delete
    2. I haven't continued on yet. I have to inter-library loan the books, which is kind of a pain. I heard about this series via a Booktuber (https://www.youtube.com/user/kalanadi), who liked the second book, however.

      Delete
    3. That's good to know. (And I know what you mean; it is definitely a pain when you have to try to get a book thru inter-library loan!)

      Delete
  3. Regency supernatural adventure . . . Sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a lot of fun elements in it...and I liked the main characters, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Love the sound of this Lark! Wondering if all the books are out now. I love to read a series when all the books are released so I can read one after the other. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the second book is out because my library has a copy, but I think book three is supposed to come out in 2018. (I usually like to wait to read a trilogy when they've all been published, too; if I have to wait too long I tend to forget either what I've already read, or that the next books is even coming out.) :D

      Delete
  5. A supernatural adventure set in the Regency era. I don't think I've came across books like this. Sounds like a fun read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun...especially if you don't mind books that are over 400 pages long. :D

      Delete
  6. I like the sound of this one, but then I love historical novels and always like a bit of the supernatural!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, this sounds good! Another one for the ole TBR pile ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you needed more books on your TBR pile! ;D

      Delete
  8. I don't need more books on my TBR pile, either, but this does sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. But I know what you mean about not wanting to add to the overflowing TBR pile! :)

      Delete