Friday, March 29, 2024

A Bookish Trio...

 

Deaf Utopia by Nyle DiMarco

Nyle DiMarco is a proud Deaf man. He is so eloquent and passionate about the Deaf world, it's culture and history, and the richness, beauty and expressiveness of ASL. It's such a fascinating language! I took a class in it once and loved how you can say so much with just one sign. I also loved reading Nyle's story. He chronicles his growing up years and later experiences with honesty and humor. And I really admire his mother for her strength and determined activism. She's a remarkable woman. And Deaf Utopia is an amazing book.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐






Give Me A Sign by Anna Sortino

Lilah doesn't feel "deaf enough" to identify as Deaf--she isn't even fluent in ASL--but her hearing loss means she doesn't fit in the hearing world either; she always feels like "the odd one out, the one who always has to explain or adjust." Except when she's at Gray Wolf, a summer camp for the deaf and blind. And this year, she's not just a camper, she's a junior counselor. Sortino, who is deaf herself, has written a sweet coming-of-age story that explores the complexity and richness of being Deaf. It's a very engaging YA novel.   ⭐⭐⭐⭐






True Biz by Sara Novic

Immersive and impressive! I got caught up in the lives of Charlie (a deaf teenager with hearing parents; she has a cochlear implant that doesn't work very well and still hasn't learned ASL), and February (a CODA who's fluent in ASL and is headmistress of the River Valley School for the Deaf in Ohio). This book deals with the importance of ASL, Deaf schools, the tug-of-war between the hearing and Deaf, cochlear implants, and Deaf culture. I couldn't put it down; though I did think the ending was a little abrupt.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐




Happy Reading! 

22 comments:

  1. Lark, I love this bookish trio. They all sound like such terrific reads. I'm glad you posted about them and brought them to my attention. I'd heard about True Biz, but not the other two. Thank you!! Wishing you a very hoppy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun reading them back to back because it gave me such insight and understanding about the Deaf world and their culture. Have a great weekend, Nadia! :D

      Delete
  2. Lark, thanks for featuring these three books. Not familiar with any of them, but they all sound good. Hope you have a good weekend! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful Easter, too. :D

      Delete
  3. I am picky about the memoirs I will read, but Deaf Utopia is one that caught my attention. I am so glad you liked it. All of these sound good really. I am going to check them all out. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nyle's writing is amazing...he's a gifted storyteller and his book is so readable and powerful. I really loved it.

      Delete
  4. My daughter-in-law is a special needs teacher, but her specialty is ASL. I find it sad that a lot of parents don't learn ASL when their kids are deaf, fearing they won't try to read lips or try in fit in with those not hearing impaired. Sounds like you got a glimpse into the complexities deaf persons deal with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these books were so eye-opening and insightful. And I don't understand parents who won't learn ASL...wouldn't you want to be able to communicate with your child??? And lip reading is not what's best for your child. Giving them language and the ability to express themselves is. And these books really do point that out.

      Delete
  5. Love that all three of these are linked. I saw Nyle DiMarco on Dancing with the Stars and he was such a likable and resiliant person. I really want to read his book. The other two look really good too - especially True Biz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nyle's biography is amazing! I totally recommend it. :D

      Delete
  6. I picked up a copy of Deaf Utopia after reading True Biz (which I loved) -- haven't read it yet, but I'm happy to see your comments and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. :D

      Delete
  7. These all look really good. I don't know if I've read any books about Deaf culture, so I think I'd find them interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I hope you get a chance to check some of them out. they're worth reading.

      Delete
  8. All of these books sound really good. Like Katherine, I saw Nyle DiMarco on Dancing with the Stars. He was one of my favorites that season, so I'm interested in reading his book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His book is amazing. I learned so much about Deaf culture and history, and his own story is so compelling.

      Delete
  9. This is such a great collection that highlights an often underrepresented group. My youngest brother has congenital hearing loss, so I'm sure these stories would resonate with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd probably really relate to these three books. I like how they represent the Deaf and show what life is like for them and their families. They're all such great reads.

      Delete
  10. I really liked True Biz, and I'm adding the other 2 to my list. Thanks, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Biz is so good. I think you'd really like the other two, especially Deaf Utopia!

      Delete