Monday, March 4, 2024

Midnight Creed by Alex Kava

 

This is the eighth book in one of my favorite mystery series. Ryder Creed is a former marine K9 handler; now he owns and runs a dog rescue center in the Florida panhandle where he rehabilitates and trains dogs as scent and search-and-rescue dogs. His best dog is a Jack Russell terrier named Gracie. He works with Jason, another veteran, and Brodie, his sister, and lots of dogs. He and Gracie are recovering from some injuries when he gets called in to help search for a missing boy. 

Maggie O'Dell is an FBI agent working a case in Washington D.C. that involves a serial killer who's been targeting the homeless. She and Ryder have worked several cases together, and their friendship has developed and deepened over the course of the series into something more. When Maggie tracks her killer to Florida, they find their two cases intersecting. 

Alex Kava always writes an interesting and engaging mystery. She creates great suspense, but it's her characters that really elevate these books. I especially love Ryder's relationship with his dogs and how they work together to solve each case. He can't help but rescue every stray that comes along. I like the way he and Maggie work together, too. I spotted the connection with the murderer early on in this one, but it didn't stop me from enjoying this book. It's a well-written and fun ride. 

Happy Reading!

Other Ryder Creed posts:

24 comments:

  1. My local library had not only book 2 but also 3 and 4 on their shelves so I was a Happy Camper on Saturday! So pleased the series is so good as it continues and I love Gracie too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracie is such a smart little dog. I hope you enjoy the next books! I've read and liked them all. :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I read one of Alex Kava's books many moons ago but I think it was another series. I'm glad this one is holding up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! But then anything with dogs in it. ;D

      Delete
  4. I wish I had the time to read everything that tempts me like this series - even would settle for being able to read a lot faster. This is exactly what I love most about book blogs...so much choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I wish I had more time to be able to read all the books I'd like to read. Every blog I visit I seem to add another title to my TBR list...I'll never catch up. ;D

      Delete
  5. I am glad you continue to enjoy this series, Lark! It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's awesome to find a series that's still good eight books into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this series is really one of my favs. :D

      Delete
  7. It's pretty awesome when you find a long series that is still enjoyable by the 8th book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I have maybe ten or so series like this one that I'm caught up with and still love after 8+ books. :D

      Delete
  8. This series is on my list of ones that I want to read. It's a crowded list and I just haven't got to it yet. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how that goes! I have many books on my TBR list that I hope to get to someday. And the list just keeps on growing...faster than I can read. ;D

      Delete
  9. I'd like to try this series! I think I'd really enjoy the dogs and the mystery! His top dop is a Jack Russell Terrier? That's surprising and I like it. Love little dogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracie is such a smart and fiesty little dog. She's great. And so is Ryder! You'll really like him, too. :D

      Delete
  10. Alex Kava seems like a writer who knows how to write animals into a series in a way that will interest the reader and so I might put this book on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does such a good job with this series. I hope you get a chance to check it out.

      Delete
  11. One of my absolute favorite series. I'm so glad that I've been able to use restraint in reading it; otherwise, I would've caught up long ago. Sometimes I like not anxiously waiting for the next book to be published! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I love this series, too! And I am always anxiously waiting for the next book to come out...which makes me think your way might be the smarter one.

      Delete
  12. I've had this author on my TBR and this sounds fantastic. I love that the main character runs a dog rehab and trains search and rescue dogs. I need to pick up the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love the dogs, and the human characters are pretty great, too. :D

      Delete