Thursday, January 29, 2015

My last week without the library...


I've been without library books for almost a month now and it's been a surprisingly freeing experience. I tackled some of the books on my TBR shelf that I've been putting off for years, and I spent another enjoyable week rereading some of my favorite books. They weren't the ones I originally intended to reread, but because they are all books I own and don't have to return to the library, I could change my mind without feeling guilty. It's nice reading in the moment and according to your mood. Not that I want to be without library books forever. There are too many books I want to read that I don't own (way too many for me to buy). In fact, I've already put four books on hold at the library; they should be in next week.  But I've liked putting the library on hold and reading from my own shelves for a month. I just wish I could have gotten through a few more books from my TBR shelf. But there's always next year. I'm definitely going library-free again next January. Reading from your own shelves is a great way to start off the new year.

Happy Reading!



10 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your library-free January! I agree, there is something refreshing about just reading off your shelf according to your mood. I only wish I could have made it through more books on my shelves. As I head back to the library, I think I want to still make time for books I own. Sigh...so many books, so little time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the perfect way to start the year. I ended up reading exactly what I had planned, but that was because somehow I happened to be in the mood for it -- it was good to know I was free to change my mind. I am definitely ready to get back to the library though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I have lists of books I can't wait to check out.

      Delete
  3. :) I skipped the library for a long time and have only returned in the last few months, but I'm glad to be back. I hate buying books. It is so frustrating to buy a book and then not even be satisfied with it. I've depended largely on NetGalley and print ARCs for a while, but now that I'm back to the library, I'm checking out early copies of authors whose books I've enjoyed.

    Most of the books on my shelves are books I've loved and decided to keep, both fiction and nonfiction. I think some re-reading is in order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love revisiting books and finding out that I like them even more the second time around. It's a hard balance though, finding time among all the new books to reread the old.

      Delete
  4. I got to pick up a book that I'd put on hold before the TBR Dare stared, and it was nice to be back in the library :) But I couldn't linger, so I wouldn't be tempted. I'll look forward to hearing more about your library reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temptation in the library is always great. I fill my bag with book after book, madly thinking that I'll find time to read them all. (Of course, I never do.) I'm going to try and be better when I go back...and leave room in my life for my own books, too. Wish me luck!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like an interesting way to start your year! I have a pretty big bunch of books to be read, so I try to alternate between my book, library book, and a book for review. It doesn't always work that way, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never works for me...that's why I did it this way this year. And it actually forced me to read books from my own shelves, which was really good. I have fewer TBRs now, and a newfound appreciation for the library. :)

      Delete