Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Week of Rereading...

I like revisiting a book I've already read for some of the same reasons I like returning to the same beach house again and again; it's familiar. I know what to expect and I know all the best spots, so I can just relax and enjoy the experience. And with no library books currently hanging over my head, I decided to take a break from my TBR shelf and spend a few days rereading some old favorites.


I bought Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field by Melissa Nathan over a decade ago when I was going through my British chic lit phase, and I wanted to see if it was as funny as I remembered (and if I still want to keep it). Jasmin Field is a journalist who has been cast as Lizzie Bennet in a stage version of Pride and Prejudice being produced for a charity event; the director of the play is Oscar-winning actor Harry Noble, whom Jasmine finds as arrogant as he is handsome. Life imitates art when Harry finds himself unexpectedly attracted to her. (You can see where this is going, can't you?) Despite being completely predictable, this bit of romantic fluff is still fun. (But I might be ready to let it go.)

Then, being in the mood for a little more romance, I binge read three of my favorite Rosamunde Pilcher books--those deceptively simple yet beautifully written novels about two people falling in love, where the spaces between the lines and what isn't said is almost more important than what is. (As a bookish bonus, they're also all set in amazingly irresistable places like Scotland, Cornwall, and Mallorca.) My chosen threesome? Snow in April, The Day of the Storm, and Sleeping Tiger. It was like being on summer vacation...and just what I needed this week.

Happy Rereading!

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these, but they sound wonderful! Glad you got some rereading in this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's good to just revisit a favorite; I should reread more...but there are always so many new books on the horizon. :)

      Delete
  2. I love re-reading :) I was never much of a fan, but I think about half of the books I read last year were re-reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some books, especially classics, just beg to be read two or three times. And others are just fun to revisit. I want to do more rereading this year.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh...I love re-reading! Your post makes me want to revisit Rosamunde Pilcher myself. And I haven't read Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field...sounds like a fun read. Now I hear some books begging to be re-read on my own shelves...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like the comparison of rereading to revisiting a well-loved vacation spot. Makes me want to reread right now!

    ReplyDelete