Friday, July 29, 2016

Classic Reads, the ABCs, and Me...

Here, in semi-alphabetical order, are the twenty-four classics I want to read next, with every letter of the alphabet represented, including X. It's probably going to take me a couple of years to read them all, but I'm not in a hurry.  After all, they're classics; they're going to be around for quite awhile.

Alexander's Bridge by Willa Cather
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
Godfrey Morgan by Jules Verne
The History of Miss Betsy Thoughtless by Eliza Haywood
The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino
Roderick Hudson by Henry James
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Lady Anna by Anthony Trollope
My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier
Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
Ovid's Metamorphosis
Dance Night by Dawn Powell
Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Gray
Tortilla Flats by John Steinbeck
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
The Virginian by Owen Wister
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Murder on the Orient EXpress by Agatha Christie
Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope
The Ladies Paradise by Emile Zola

Wish me luck.
And Happy Reading!

20 comments:

  1. Oh wonderfully done! Very creative!

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I've read a few of the books on your list and enjoyed them all, especially My Cousin Rachel and the two Hardy books. I had fun reading Don Quixote too, despite the length. Good luck with reading all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to reading ALL of these. Especially My Cousin Rachel and the Jules Verne novels. I'm just in the mood for them right now. :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read a single one of these. It's so embarrassing. But classics are hard. I need light and fluffy lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big believer in waiting for the right moment to tackle any book...and that's even more true for the classics. If you're not in the right mood to read a given book, you're not going to enjoy it, so what's the point? Someday, you might be ready to give these classics a read...until then, I say read what you want!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, what a fun way to make a classics list! I have some of these on my to-read shelf already (Don Quixote, Return of the Native, My Cousin Rachel) and there are some I've never heard of (Betsy Thoughtless??) Have a marvelous time reading through the alphabet in whatever order you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm kind of excited...I just hope I stay that way through all 24 books. :)

      Delete
  5. That's a great list and so creative! Hope you enjoy reading them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping there are no duds in the mix. :)

      Delete
  6. By the way, I also have My cousin Rachel on my shelf, do you think it is perhaps an idea to read this book together?

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun. I was thinking about possibly reading it in September. Would that work for you?

      Delete
    2. September would be perfect! Perhaps we could email to cover the details :-)
      My email is quaden at hetnet dot com

      Kind regards, Bettina

      Delete
    3. dot nl of course, not dot com!
      Stupid me!!

      Kind regards,

      Delete
  7. This is such a clever and fun list! I have Lady Anna on mine for later in the year - in fact, a small group of us might be reading it in September or October, if you'd be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to list some classics. (However, I must admit ignorance on a couple of the titles... bows my head in shame.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Some were new to me, too...that's why they're just now on my list.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read any of these books, but I am interested in two last ones "Can You Forgive Her?" by Anthony Trollope and "The Ladies Paradise" by Emile Zola. Maybe, something wonderful is in these names. Great post to read

    ReplyDelete