Friday, January 31, 2020

Lost Creed by Alex Kava...

Ryder Creed's sister, Brodie, disappeared sixteen years ago, taken from an interstate truck stop while her dad and brother waited for her in the car. She was eleven years old. Now, every time Ryder goes out with his dogs on a search-and-rescue mission, he thinks about her, wondering if his sister, or her body, will ever be found. Then he gets a call from FBI Agent Maggie O'Dell. In a human trafficking raid in the middle of Nebraska, Maggie finds Brodie's picture. And she thinks that Eli Dunn, the man at the center of the raid, might know what happened to her. But Eli's playing his own game with the FBI, leading Maggie and Ryder (and his Jack Russell terrier, Gracie) on a macabre scavenger hunt.

(In a side story, Ryder's associate, Jason, and his black lab, Scout, go on their first search-and-rescue assignment alone where things don't quite go as planned. Moral of this secondary story: Trust your dog!)

My thoughts:  Lost Creed is a fast-paced and well-written read. I like all the characters in this book, both the people...and the dogs! It's fun to see Jason's role grow. And Gracie and Scout are awesome. Every book makes me like Ryder more and more. (In this one we even get to meet his mom.) And the mystery surrounding Dunn and all the missing kids was both compelling and suspenseful. Though I find the fact that human trafficking of minors continues in our country today completely heartbreaking! Overall, this is a great book. I couldn't put it down. In fact, I think this just might be my favorite Ryder Creed novel yet!

Happy Reading!

Previous Creed read:  




24 comments:

  1. I should really start this series. Since it has a dog component, it was be a great series for my February They Call it Puppy Love challenge - you should join!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a whole new series to me. Sounds interesting enough to go on my "Series for Later" list.

    Human trafficking is a huge problem in this country, especially, it seems here in Houston. Seems like every week or so that we hear of another group that's been busted for exploiting some of the illegals coming to this city from Central America, South America, or Mexico. Sadly, some of them are very young girls and their mothers. I heard this week that the government is trying to come up with some new legislation that would have penalties severe enough to curb this trend. I doubt that it will work, though, because it never does. Miami is probably awash in people being exploited this way this week and last week - it happens at every Super Bowl event, no matter the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so heartbreaking, isn't it? You'd think as a civilized country we'd be able to do something more to stop it and protect the innocent!

      Delete
  3. Having a missing family member like that would be heartbreaking. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely my favorite book in the series so far. :)

      Delete
  4. I've gotta try this series one of these days. It sounds like just the type of thing I'd love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really liked the three books I've read. :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like another great entry in a great series. Nice that you are getting to know the main character a little bit better with every book. I love that about series.

    Trust your dog? If I trusted my dogs, they would be as fat as pigs...they always accuse me of not feeding them enough! They want more treats! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reckon you should join Barb's Puppy Love Challenge with us. I hope to be reading a few dog apocalypse books this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see if you find any good ones! :)

      Delete
  7. I need to look into this series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Human trafficking gives me the shivers and it's such a huge crisis! Lisa Gardner's latest features the problem, and it makes me so sad because it's happening in real life. I'd like to get to this series someday. It sounds like my kind of read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's heartbreaking that it continues to happen in real life! And yes, I do think you'd like this book. :)

      Delete
  9. this series is new to me -- I definitely need to check it out after your review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe that's a thing in real life either, it's crazy. This sounds like a good read though! I love the sound of the dogs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs really add an extra layer of goodness to the story.

      Delete
  11. I have not read anything by this writer although I know I've seen her books a lot. Will have to check out this series. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've read any of Alex's books. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed reading this so I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete