Friday, May 29, 2020

Desperate Creed by Alex Kava


Frankie Russo is on the phone with her co-worker when he's murdered. Now the men who killed him are after her. Afraid for her life, she starts driving to Florida where her friend Hannah lives and works with Ryder Creed and all his search dogs. She's going to need both theirs and FBI Agent Maggie O'Dell's help to deal with the situation she is in. But a slew of tornadoes are raging across the Southern states, making Frankie's cross-country trek even more dangerous. It also means Ryder and Jason and their K9 partners are heading into the storm's path to search for any survivors, while Ryder's vulnerable sister, Brodie, waits for them at home.

"Creed let his eyes wander out the window. Blue skies, not a hint of the storms predicted for later in the day. He realized that was sort of how Brodie was. ... There seemed to be an internal storm still brewing beneath her surface, though she pretended everything was blue skies. He knew that PTSD worked differently in everyone. He had dealt with his own on his own terms. But he also knew that it could sneak up on you when you least expected it. When you thought you'd put it behind you. Just when you felt safe and secure."

MY THOUGHTS:  This is another good one from Alex Kava--compelling and well-written. And Ryder Creed is still one of my favorite characters. In this one, he's trying to help his sister recover from her past (which is explained in Kava's previous novel Lost Creed), figure out his relationship with Maggie, and deal with the aftermath of several tornadoes alongside his best scent dog, Grace--tornadoes that put both Frankie and Maggie in jeopardy. I love all the dogs in these books. And I really like Ryder's sister, Brodie, who is both fragile and tough. And that tornado action? Crazy and scary! Desperate Creed is a great combination of mystery, suspense, and survival. I'd give it 4.5/5 stars.

Happy Reading!

P.S. Be sure to begin the Creed adventure with the first book in this series:  Breaking Creed.

27 comments:

  1. That sounds exciting and you know... 'weather'... what's not to like. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shocking start! I can't imagine experiencing that and then just moving on to find the killer, but I guess that's why I'm not an action hero lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D The closest I get to that kind of action is going to the library.

      Delete
  3. I need to try this series. As to tornadoes, yes, they are not fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy this series! It's a lot of fun.

      Delete
  4. I really like the sound of this one. Sounds like a book that I would probably enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's become one of my favorite series. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds so good. I really need to check this series out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew, escaping from people who are trying to murder her *into* tornadoes?? This sounds gripping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got good suspense! And such great characters, too. :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Ryder Creed and his dogs. He's the reason I keep on reading. :)

      Delete
  8. I should really start with the first book. Hope I'll remember to check my TBR list for this one. So often, I add books, then the book keeps shifting down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a thrilling read and something I'd enjoy! I'll have to check out the first one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, give these a try. I think you'll like them. :)

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a really fun series. Plus the tornadoes in this one sound like a really nice element as well. I'm going to bookmark these as a series to try... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is definitely worth trying! :)

      Delete
  11. I love that cover with the outline of the dog. I still haven't read this author yet. So many books so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to try this series. I've never read anything by Kava.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read her Ryder Creed books, but I've liked them all. :)

      Delete
  13. I've never read anything by this author-a bit outside my comfort zone though I like the sound of the dogs!

    ReplyDelete