Saturday, September 7, 2024

Tap Code by Col. Carlyle "Smitty" Harris (Ret.)

 

The epic suvival tale of a Vietnam POW and the secret code that changed everything.

Shot down on April 4, 1965, Smitty Harris was the sixth American captured in the air war over North Vietnam. I'm sure you've heard of the infamous Hanoi Hilton. Smitty was there, as well as in seven other prison camps. For eight long years he suffered torture, solitary confinement, hunger, humiliation and abuse. But through it all, he never lost his belief in God, or his own integrity and honor as an American soldier. 

In the midst of his captivity, he remembered an old, long-unused World War II method of communication he'd once learned--the Tap Code. It's based on a 5x5 grid of numbers and letters that allowed him and his fellow POWs to covertly communicate with one another while imprisoned. And that ability not only unified these men, but enabled them to strengthen and support one another and help each other to survive their long ordeal, their "misery made bearable by camaraderie."

Meanwhile, back in the States, Smitty's wife, Louise, never gave up hope that he would come back home. As one of the first MIA wives, she had to learn to be her own advocate, as well as to be strong and optimistic for her three young children as she raised them on her own. Her memories of that time period are equally captivating. 

This is an incredible story of faith, resistance, hope and survival. And one of the best nonfiction books I've read all year. It's so good! Here's just one of my favorite quotes from it: 
"When times were really bad--and especially during those times when I feared I might not survive--I prayed frequently and fervently because I had nowhere else to turn. I knew I needed help. And help came. No, I didn't experience a personal miracle. The torture didn't stop. I wasn't free and back home. But I gained more than I even knew to pray for. After prayer, I knew I was no longer alone. Prayer gave me renewed strength to continue resisting a brutal enemy. And all those miracles I prayed for came true--just not on on my timetable, but on God's. Now I feel that I have everything I could have ever wanted. Through the difficulty of my years of captivity, I found a renewed belief in a Supreme Being--God, my Father--who looked after me then and still does today."

My rating:  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

Happy Reading!


 

28 comments:

  1. Wow, this does sound like quite a story! I can't imagine going through what he went through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine it either. And for eight years? The fact that he endured it so well amazes me.

      Delete
  2. I can't even imagine what Smitty endured for eight years in the Hanoi Hilton. This is a powerful memoir and sometimes I get depressed about things but I look at Smitty and his courage and his deep faith and he is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His courage and faith is so amazing. His wife's, too. The fact they managed to keep their marriage and family intact through all of that is truly inspiring.

      Delete
  3. It makes you contemplate man's inhumanity to man and how it 'is' possible to survive even the worst treatment if you can only find a way. Brilliant story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true. And what got these men through was each other, and knowing they weren't alone. Which is so important. Having that kind of support is what we all need to get through hard things.

      Delete
  4. Wow.
    love it.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five stars from Lark! High praise indeed. It's not a book that I would choose to read but I'll mention it to my husband who is a Vietnam War veteran. It might be one he would be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to be in the right mood to read a book like this.

      Delete
  6. Wow, sounds like a hard, but powerful read! Great review and quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved his faith and positivity through it all.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a very emotional read but a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how humans can inflict torture on other humans! What kind of person are you to do that? It's hard for me to read any story that features torture because I can't get it out of my head and I find it deeply disturbing. I'm so happy his faith was able to sustain him and his wife through such a long ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get how people can treat another human being so inhumanely either. And I totally understand how hard it can be to read this kind of book. It helped that he doesn't dwell on the torture, or describe it too graphically, though he does talk about it pretty matter-of-factly. I was just glad to see he got a happy ending after going through all of that.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, this sounds like a very powerful read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lark, WOW! This book sounds amazing! Definitely a must-read! I'm so glad you posted about it, because now I have to check it out. Thank you!! Wishing you a lovely Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nadia! And this book is definitely one that's worth reading. :D

      Delete
  11. Wow, this sounds like an emotional and inspiring story. What a great quote. To imagine everything he endured and yet to have such a strong faith! Truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an incredible story this must be. I can't even imagine what these patriots went through while in captivity for so long. That so many of them ultimately survived the ordeal still amazes me. I love the brilliance of something as simple as this secret code helping to keep these men alive simply by making them feel that they were not alone anymore. I'll have to find this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very interesting story. So hard to imagine being held captive for eight years! And that code played such an important role in helping all those men to stay strong and unified. His feelings about Jane Fonda were certainly interesting. I think you would like this one, Sam. It's not very long and it reads pretty fast.

      Delete
  13. This sounds incredibly powerful and I like that the author shared both his and his wife's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that. And his wife certainly deserved to have her story told. She's a pretty incredible person.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you mentioned this book. I watched a little PBS thing on Smitty from 2023 and it was very good. He's quite a person. It's amazing he & others survived ... and lived to tell his story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is quite a person, and so is his wife. I couldn't believe how much they each had to endure through all of this. And to come out of it so positive about life and still filled with joy. It's inspiring.

      Delete