Thursday, September 12, 2024

The Case of the Baker Street Irregulars by Anthony Boucher

 


This classic mystery was first published in 1940. And it's very entertaining, especially if you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes. As the Baker Street Irregulars are. This group is dedicated to the great detective and know every story written about him. So when they learn Metropolis Pictures is planning to make a movie of The Adventures of the Speckled Band and have hired Stephen Worth to write the screenplay, the Irregulars are horrified. As a group, they begin a letter campaign threatening the producer F.X. Weinberg unless he fires Worth.
"...this man Worth, hereinafter to be known as that rat, is the author of many stupid and illogical mystery novels...and has many times expressed in public print his contempt for the exploits of Holmes."
Stephen Worth doesn't have a much better opinion of the Baker Street Irregulars:  "These cockeyed pantywaist deductionists. These silly-frilly nancy-pantsy dabblers who think they can write about detectives....they're going to learn something in this picture, and they're not going to like it."  

Wanting to get the Holmesians off his back (and unable to fire Worth because of an ironclad contract), Weinberg and his secretary, Maureen, devise a plan to bring five of the most well-known Baker Street Irregulars to Hollywood to oversee the script. But when Worth is murdered at their welcome reception, they all become suspects. Banding together, the Irregulars try to solve this puzzling murder. But they're stumped when every clue and red herring they find seems to point back to one of Sherlock Holmes's famous cases. It can't be a coincidence. But who's behind it all? 

Irreverent, engaging, humorous and a little zany, I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery. Boucher creates quite a cast of characters, even including a police sergeant named Watson. I found all the nods to Holmes and Watson lots of fun; though you don't have to be familiar with anything Sherlock Holmes to appreciate this mystery because the Irregulars are more than happy to explain each and every connection. There's a touch of screwball comedy in this one that I wasn't expecting, but found amusing. And while I didn't have a clue whodunnit, I loved watching the police and the Irregulars try their best to solve the crime. And the ending made me smile.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Reading!

22 comments:

  1. There is a branch of the Baker Street Irregulars here in Houston, and I'd like to attend a meeting, just to see. I've read the Holmes and Watson stories, but it's been a while. This book sounds like fun, and happily my library has a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so fun to actually attend a Baker Street Irregular meeting! Though I doubt I know enough about Sherlock Holmes to fit in with them. :D

      Delete
  2. Lark, how fun! This book sounds like such a treat to read. I'll definitely have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a lot of fun. But then I've been really liking these classic mysteries lately. :D

      Delete
  3. This book sounds like so much fun! I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, so I'm adding this to my list. Great review, Lark! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of humor in this one that totally made me laugh. I hope you get a chance to read it sometime.

      Delete
  4. I fell in love with Sherlock Holmes as a teenager and I love him still. Wonderful stories! This sounds like it might be a worthy successor. I must check it out. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked how the Baker Street Irregulars played off one another and how each had a theory and a story. It was fun.

      Delete
  5. Ooh. I didn't know about this and now I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a feeling Mr. Worth was a goner. lol Don't mess with the myth of Sherlock Holmes. Every reader knows that...lol Sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't mess with the Baker Street Irregulars! ;D

      Delete
  7. While it's not my kind of read, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read. But then I do really enjoy these Golden Age classic mysteries. :D

      Delete
  8. Sherlock Holmes is timeless, as popular today as he was when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle first created him and this books sounds fun. I like the idea of Holmes fans banding together to solve a crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holmes is timeless. I wonder if when Doyle first thought him up he had any idea just how popular he would become. He's such an icon now. Everyone has heard of Sherlock Holmes. :D

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, it sounds like a fun, classic whodunnit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1940 eh? That's interesting you found this one. Sounds like a good tribute to Sherlock Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to read a classic mystery every month this year (I have a long list of them that have been recently reprinted), and it's been a lot of fun.

      Delete
  11. A mystery wrapped up in fun! I think I'd enjoy this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one is new to me and sounds like great fun!

    ReplyDelete