Friday, February 24, 2017

A bookish gem...

"All towns need a bookshop."

But what Broken Wheel, Iowa, really needs is Sara Lindqvist. She's a bookish, quiet girl who prefers books to people, but who has come all the way from Sweden to meet her pen pal, Amy Harris, only to arrive on the day of Amy's funeral. Luckily for her, the residents of this shrinking town are determined to make her feel welcome and wanted. They get Poor George to chauffeur her around town, they treat her to lunch, let her stay in Amy's house, and even try to set her up with Amy's handsome nephew, Tom. In an attempt to repay their many kindnesses, and to honor Amy's memory, Sara opens up a bookshop on Main Street, filling it with all of Amy's books. Now if only she can convince the residents of Broken Wheel to read them.

This story has everything I love:  pen pals and letters, good books, humor, charm, friendship and romance, heart, and a town full of quirky, fun characters. I loved it! Seeing the town pull together on Sara's behalf was very entertaining, and her effect on each of them, especially on Tom, made me smile. This bookish gem is a novel I would happily buy and read again and again; it's that good!

Happy Reading!

Similarly delightful reads:
The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan


20 comments:

  1. Pen pals and letters and books--that sounds wonderful right there. I've seen this one around, but you've really piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It exceeded my expectations: I was hoping for good and I got wonderful. :)

      Delete
  2. I remember reading this one and really enjoying it. Such a sweet idea of opening a bookshop using all of Amy's books. I'm glad you liked it so much :) Then again you are so right - what's not to love about a book about books, letters, and pen pals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And the fact that it's also funny and entertaining and sweet doesn't hurt. :)

      Delete
  3. I need to read this one. It looks so cute and every one seems to be loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those books that just make you happy to be reading it, you know?

      Delete
  4. I've seen this book on many bookbloggers' list/reviews. That title and cover are enough to capture my attention. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this book like many others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how often the same book shows up on so many different blogs; we must all be breathing the same bookish air. :)

      Delete
  5. I need to read this one. It's been on my TBR list forever, it seems. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think my TBR list is a Bermuda Triangle for books: titles go on the list, but never seem to come off it. :)

      Delete
  6. This was a book that left me smiling in the end. I loved it. I am so glad you did too, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did! Thanks for mentioning it in one of your posts. I wouldn't have even known to read it otherwise. :D

      Delete
  7. Books about bookshops are so much fun, aren't they?! I've read a few and this one sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I love books about bookshops so much, but I do! I think that makes me just a little too bookish. :D

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you enjoyed this. It sounds so charming. I put it on my wishlist after hearing about it on a Book Riot (I believe) podcast but some of the recs have led me to disappointment (A Little Life in particular!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're saying; people often rave about books that I can't make myself finish. But if you like books that are sweet and bookish with some great, funny characters, you might like this one. :)

      Delete
  9. This does sound like a bookish gem--something to cure the late winter blahs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It definitely helped me with my case of winter blahs!

      Delete
  10. Ooooooo! Bookishness AND my home state of Iowa! Sounds quite perfect.

    ReplyDelete